I got my 501(c)(3) letter!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Just a quick note for those of you that have visited my site in the past,

after 18 months of getting everything ready I finally got my public charity status for the mercury7 science center. Thanks to everyone that supported me on this, your encouragement has helped me tremendously! Scott Bass

http://www.mercury7.com/exempt.htm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Congrats! I am far, far away, but ahve thought of forming some sort of cheritable foundation later on... what was the process like for you?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    It was hard, there is a mountain of paperwork, but as you can see it is not an impossible task, just be prepared to

devote alot of time to it and be very patient, Im not even done yet although the IRS letter was the most important step, Im now having to go back to the state level with even more paperwork, tax returns etc etc.

it also means alot of money is out of your pocket because all of this is done before you can start soliciting for help. Scott
  • Reply 3 of 3
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mercury7

It was hard, there is a mountain of paperwork, but as you can see it is not an impossible task, just be prepared to

devote alot of time to it and be very patient, Im not even done yet although the IRS letter was the most important step, Im now having to go back to the state level with even more paperwork, tax returns etc etc.

it also means alot of money is out of your pocket because all of this is done before you can start soliciting for help. Scott

There are a lot of good e-books on how to get your 501 (c) 3 status. They really make life a lot easier to deal with the freekn' government.