Expected performance of new Mactel PowerBook/Should I wait?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, I have a bunch of questions, and all I'm asking for are rumors.

1) What is the expected performance of the new PowerBook15'' Mactel?

2) Something around a 2 Ghz (dual core?) Pentium M, right?

3) How would that compare to a G4?

4) I read on wikipedia that Rosetta would only be able to emulate a G3 at 60-75% of the speed, which is ~ 1.4 Ghz G3. How would a game that was supposed to run on a 1.0 Ghz G4 run on that?

5) And lastly, do you think developers will switch to compiling universal binaries immediantly, or will apps have to run in Rosetta for a year or two?

Now, I am debating getting a PowerBook now, or waiting until the PowerBook Mactels are out. There are quite a few things that being able to boot into Windows would be useful for. Would Windows be able to use the Graphics card in the Mactel PowerBook? Also, the idea of 25% thinner entices me greatly. I have, however, read fears about purchasing a 1G product. Do you think such fears are justified? Is the new Mactel PowerBook likely to have problems, such as the TiBook's flaking paint, and is Apple likely to offer a support program for such problems? Which one should I get?

Wooh, anyone who bothers to answer even one of those many, many questions, I thank you greatly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Lots of questions nobody has any solid answers to yet. We need to know #1 before we can guesstimate 2, 3 and 4.

But if it's a dual core chip of any kind, it would (in theory) wipe the floor with the G4. The G4 is just plain long in the tooth at this point.

#4. It depends on whether or not the game required the G4. If it's required, then you're SOL since Rosetta can't emulate G4 instructions anyway.

#5. Frankly I'm surprised the move to Intel would happen as early as January since it's been quiet on the universal binary front. I haven't heard of any major software developers having anything in the immediate pipeline. Most of them are probably waiting to make UBs with their next major updates/revisions on their own schedule, and not on the transition's schedule.

Re: Windows compatible with the graphics chip.

Can't answer since we don't know if the graphics chip will be dedicated Mac hardware like current graphic cards are, or if they'll be the same as the PC cards. This is up to ATI and Nvidia.

Re: G1 risks.

There's definitely risk involved in this case. With very little transition time gone by so far, no major software conversions yet, few (if any) driver updates for accessories... I would at least wait until the first reports come back to see how G1 turned out before diving in. If the coast is clear, then go for it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Okay, here is the game that I want to play on it, and it appears that it requires a G4. So, there is no way to get Rosetta to emulate a G4? If so, then I think the current model would be best for me.

Will applications continue to be supported on the G4?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    1. It depends on what MHz Intel chip Apple uses. If it is a 2 GHz dual-core Yonah, it can be anywhere from 0 to 200+% faster than the current Powerbooks. It'll be able to run H.264 720p and higher at full frame rate. Multitasking will be a much smoother experience. For sure, integer and FPU bound apps will be faster due to OOOE execution and better memory performance. SIMD apps will depend on the kind of SIMD ops used, but generally should be faster as well.

2. 2 GHz dual core Yonah? Maybe. Who knows. I'm thinking 1.8 dual-core at the top because businesses don't like to waste speed grades, especially if it is in Q1 06.

3. See number 1. It's really no comparison. A 2 GHz Yonah will be much much better than 1.67 GHz G4 for 99% of what you do.

4. Ask yourself if the game runs on a G3. If it does, it'll run anywhere from <50% to >100% of a G3 at the same clock rate. If the game doesn't run on a G3 and only runs on a G4/G5, it won't run on Rosetta.

5. Depends on the developer.

25% thinner? That sounds like unfounded AI speculation to me. I wouldn't plan on it happening.

Booting Windows? If Apple uses vanilla Intel platform hardware, Windows will boot and use all of the hardware features. If Apple uses some custom chips, someone will need to write a driver. No way to tell now.

1st Gen Product? I'm getting the first Powerbook/Intel machine because the time will be right. The issues I trust will be covered by the initial Warranty, then AppleCare, then a support program if there are any serious problems. Others will not like dealing with such issues. If you can't stand it, don't buy a 1st gen product.