USB2 question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a powerbook g4 with USB1. I want to get an external lcd with powered usb2 hub built right in. Will this give me full usb2 speeds when connected with dvi?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kung Fu Guy

I have a powerbook g4 with USB1. I want to get an external lcd with powered usb2 hub built right in. Will this give me full usb2 speeds when connected with dvi?

I may be wrong but DVI can't power USB. For the USB hub to work you'll need to plug the monitor into a USB port on the Mac. On the Mac monitors the FireWire and USB hubs plug into the FireWire and USB hubs on the computer.

If you want USB 2.0 buy a PCI card for the laptop or a FireWire/USB hub.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kung Fu Guy

No. As MacCrazy said, the USB won't connect through DVI; you'll need a separate cable from your monitor USB type B (square) port to your laptop's USB type A (flat) port. Naturally, this will only give you the speed your laptop can offer, in this case USB 1.1.

Unless you are on the 12-inch PowerBook, you can buy a PCMCIA adapter if you need USB 2.0.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The above posts are correct. This is why the aluminum Apple Cinema Displays have an umbilical with a single cable that comes off the display and splits out to four connectors: power, DVI, USB 2.0, and FireWire 400.

The older Apple Cinema Displays with plastic lucite casings used a proprietary connector called the "Apple Display Connector". It was a single plug that carried power, USB, DVI, and VGA all in one. This was introduced with the G4 cube and while it helped reduce clutter it ended up creating more hassles than it was worth.

Also, priorities changed. When ADC was introduced one goal was to increase the attach rate for displays sold with PowerMacs. However that prevented their use with PowerBooks, iMacs, PCs, etc. I am glad it's gone, although I use a 20" ADC-equipped Cinema Display with my G5 as the aluminum displays weren't introduced until a year after the G5s came out.