I thought BitTorrent was suppose to be fast.?.?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've never realy downloaded anything from BitTorrent til this week. For some reason I always was under the impression that the whole beauty of a BitTorrent-type network was that it was suppose to be FAST. I also thought the more/faster I uploaded to other pears, the faster I could download. Is this not necessarily the case?

I was on basically a T1 connection and was uploading at 80-100Kbps, but the downloading sucked big time - around 5-10kbps, sometimes dropped to 1 or 2 or 0 k, etc.

What's the deal? It showed something like 6 seeds and 15-20 peers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    That's a pretty low number, it starts speeding in the thirties typically.

Make sure that the port range of 6881-6999 is forwarded to your computer's local IP, if you're behind a router. Without it the speed is practically worthless.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

That's a pretty low number, it starts speeding in the thirties typically.

Make sure that the port range of 6881-6999 is forwarded to your computer's local IP, if you're behind a router. Without it the speed is practically worthless.

Ah, yea, I never forwarded those ports. That's probably the problem. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I have the same problem. How do you do that with the ports, I don't understand that.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Well, depends on what kind of router you have. Typically there's a CD with software on it that comes with the router, or you can sometimes navigate to 167.192.0.1 in a web browser, and it'll open the router control panel where you can forward port ranges.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

Well, depends on what kind of router you have. Typically there's a CD with software on it that comes with the router, or you can sometimes navigate to 167.192.0.1 in a web browser, and it'll open the router control panel where you can forward port ranges.

Some routers are different. For instance my router's ip address is 192.168.123.254. What kind of router do you have?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    first off, I use Azureus

The first thing you should do is change the Port to something above 49000

I set mine to 51666

Why? MANY (if not all) ISPs know that 6881 et al are used for Bittorrent. So, they can limit the bandwidth.

Change yours.

Secondly, I set a GLOBAL upload speed (say, 60KB/s) and then leave the individual upload speed unchanged. That way the people I am getting from will give me as fast as possible since I result as unrestricted upload. (good cookie).

Of course, do the port forwarding thing. If you have YELLOW smily icons, you are well connected, but behind a firewall... when they are Green, then you're flying the friendly skies.

Also, make sure you get a hold of the SAFEPEER plugin. Has a huge database of "bad" IP addresses of companies, governemnet agencies, etc that you dont want to see what you are doing... hehe...

Aaaaand obviously... make sure there are as many seeds and leechers as possible..

With these tricks, I'm downloading at about 400-500KB/s
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Some routers are different. For instance my router's ip address is 192.168.123.254. What kind of router do you have?

I've got a Netgear.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Azureus won't even start on my mini. Tomato Torrent is slow as hell.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    With all the above setup I'm often below 30kbs..

I'm on Aiport Express, will this slow things down?

flick.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    No. Even your wireless connection is far faster than your internet. I usually get 25-30K for slow torrents, 50-110K for fast torrents, and 250K+ for slashdotted torrents. Popularity has the most influence on speed.

Bittorrent is not necessarily built for speed, but is it a mini centralized and optimized P2P network that scales based on demand. The main benefit is that it takes strain off the central servers, preventing bottlenecks and saving lots of $$$.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

I've got a Netgear.

Yeah, same here.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Azureus won't even start on my mini. Tomato Torrent is slow as hell.

Why not use plain old BitTorrent?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    NETGEAR users try opening Safari and in the address field enter 192.168.0.1. If this is the correct IP Address you should be presented with a window where you can enter a user name and password. The standard user name should be admin and the standard password should be password. See if this works. If it doesn't post the model number for you NETGEAR router. This information is from the user manual of a NETGEAR FR314.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    i find that the "official" client is sloppy and often kills the rest of the computer... maybe a previous memory leak or something...

Azureus, on PC, can be a hog...

Try and reinstall Azureus with a fresh copy..

BTW< when you change your port from default 6881, you may have to wait about 24hours for the trackers to acknowledge your change.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Addresses

10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255

169.254.0.0 through 169.254.255.255 (APIPA only)

172.16.0.0 through 172.31.255.255

192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255 are reserved for home networking, usually you can find your routers adress by looking your network settings, default gateway points normally to your router.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

BTW< when you change your port from default 6881, you may have to wait about 24hours for the trackers to acknowledge your change.

What? Bittorrent isn't like DNS. Your port number doesn't have to propagate from tracker to tracker... I call BS on this.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Why not use plain old BitTorrent?

The official client is good, but I need more configurability and plugins.. Azureus offers that, plus its an app I use in Linux too so I'm more comfortable with it. I got it all sorted out actually, the latest Java release from Apple fixed this bug and now Azureus is back online again.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

What? Bittorrent isn't like DNS. Your port number doesn't have to propagate from tracker to tracker... I call BS on this.

I dunno, thats what I've read on multiple sites.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

I dunno, thats what I've read on multiple sites.

Maybe if you connect to the tracker using port 6889, and then you change to port 10,000 that specific track will take 24 hours to update itself. More likely maybe it takes 24 hours for the people that got your 6889 port when you originally connected to change over to the new port. Those are the only models that make sense to me.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    I think this tangent belongs in this thread. I've noticed that just having active torrents going slows down my internet connection.

I am running the offical Bittorrent client on Tiger, and although my overall download speed might be less than 10 KB/s and my upload around 30 KB/s, every other internet function on my computer slows to a crawl. iTunes music store creeps, web browsing creeps and my gmail notifier maintains intermittent contact.

My ISP is Verizon's DSL in Brooklyn. I have portforwarded the port directly from the DSL router. It is then plugged into an Aiport Express.

Damndest thing is that once I pause any torrents, the speed of everything else screams. Any thoughts?