Intel-based iBook in January?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
At least one other rumour web site appears to think so, who will remain nameless out of respect to AppleInsider:

"Apple is planning to release its first entry-level iBook laptops with Intel processors next January at Macworld Expo in San Francisco, highly reliable sources have confirmed..."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    The rumour also goes on to indicate that professional machines like PowerBook's and PowerMac's won't go Intel in January, which seems to contradict earlier rumours that we would see an Intel-based PowerBook in January.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    It makes sense to have a consumer laptop go first into intel. What Pros will want all their software running under Rosetta. They've got work to do and time is money!

This way you get the consumer machines in first and then when it's more established and more software providers have made the change you can send up the Pro line.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Those analysts are smokin' crack

$400 laptops is NOT where Apple needs to be. Bozos.

I welcome an Intel iBook. In fact Apple needs to go ahead and deliver the iNtel iBook and Mac mini.

I'll be a guinea pig here.

Quote:

At present, Apple laptops cost some 40 percent more than Windows-based models in various configurations, Mr. Kay said.

dumbass. But then really didn't mention comparable.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I believe an entry level iBook could be priced ~$800 range if intel is doing design of the motherboard and whatever else. There has to be some savings on processors and design using Intel.

At $800, I bet they couldn't keep them in stock.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I believe an entry level iBook could be priced ~$800 range if intel is doing design of the motherboard and whatever else. There has to be some savings on processors and design using Intel.

At $800, I bet they couldn't keep them in stock.

Yeah, aplnub, that's a much more likely price point. I wonder if they'd all have the rumored 13-inch widescreen monitor?
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Yeah, aplnub, that's a much more likely price point. I wonder if they'd all have the rumored 13-inch widescreen monitor?

Well, this unnamed article does state that there will be a third addition to the iBook lineup... so we can all cross our fingers and hope!
  • Reply 7 of 41
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

If a model comes at $800, I really doubt that it would have a 13" display (if this is part of your question). Look more for a 12" one. This is Apple we talk about and whatever their intentions are to drop prices and compete, I don't believe they would go this low.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

If a model comes at $800, I really doubt that it would have a 13" display (if this is part of your question). Look more for a 12" one. This is Apple we talk about and whatever their intentions are to drop prices and compete, I don't believe they would go this low.

I agree. Maybe we can hope for a 10" subnotebook. But probably not...
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Personally I'm gonna vote ~$800 for the standard 12", ~$1000 for the 13" widescreen, and ~$1200 for a 14" or 15" widescreen model. That would make me very happy... wouldn't you agree?

• Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

This is Apple we talk about and whatever their intentions are to drop prices and compete, I don't believe they would go this low.

In all fairness the past 2 years alone have seen Apple introducing products at price-points we never imagined they would.

I think Apple would love to get prices lower. It eliminates a barrier to entry. But they also must make a profit.

I think if Apple can find a way to make a good consumer laptop for a retail price of $500...they will.

I don't think they are interested in keeping prices high...only margins.

• Reply 11 of 41
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TheoCryst

... and ~$1200 for a 14" or 15" widescreen model. That would make me very happy... wouldn't you agree?

That would make me very happy. But it would surely put a big dent PB sales, unless they seriously crippled the iBooks. Looking at Intel's Yonah pricing, I really hope Apple doesn't decide to save all the dual cores for PB's, despite the measely $30 (and for Apple, even smaller) difference.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

In all fairness the past 2 years alone have seen Apple introducing products at price-points we never imagined they would.

I think Apple would love to get prices lower. It eliminates a barrier to entry. But they also must make a profit.

I think if Apple can find a way to make a good consumer laptop for a retail price of $500...they will.

I don't think they are interested in keeping prices high...only margins.

I think that I agree with all points raised in your post. One detail though: high margins mean in principle high (or better, higher) prices.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    umm NO damnit NO.

i want my PB. i'm tired of waiting!

i want a 2.1 dual core yonah pb NOW.

time for a nap.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    I think it's time to shake up the portable line much like Apple shook up the desktop line to much success in the past 18 months.

I'm thinking something along the lines of making a bare bones 12 inch iBook which would be renamed the iBook mini with a light footprint and the necessities for 699 or 799 (more likely 799).

On the desktop side Apple offers BTO Mac Minis to cover the gap to the iMac G5 which is the ultimate home computer offering many advantages over even the professional PowerMac but with a different aim. I see the new iBook (standard?) taking over this role for laptops.

The 12 inch screen of the iBook appeals to many but almost everyone I know prefers larger screens and 15 inch is the standard. So I expect to see a 15 inch widescreen iBook that is thinner and lighter, with the best bang for the buck occupying the 1000-1500 price range. We may see 2 models of the iBook Mini and then 2 models of the iBook 15 inch.

This would give make Apple's laptop line as such

iBook mini - $799

iBook mini - $999

iBook 15" - $1199

iBook 15" - $1399

I think the 12 inch Powerbook goes away. The Powerbook 15 inch gets a major overhaul to become a kickass intel laptop maybe not in january but this spring and the 17 inch is Apple's desktop replacement. The 15 inch Powerbook would move closer to 1799 and 2199 price points and the 17 inch would be 2499 or so.

Steep price cuts but I believe with the transition to Intel we will see agressive pricing like that. Even without Intel look at what Apple has done to the iMac over the past year. The value of it has skyrocketed and the price points keep getting lower. The 1299 model is an incredible buy by Apple's standards. No reason to expect less from laptops, an area where apple has traditionally competed better on price.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Does anybody know who is the actual OEM for mactel laptops?

BTW, I highly doubt that Intel themselves will design mactel laptop boards. These are custom designed by OEMs based on Intel's reference specs.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    I'm not sure about Powerbooks, but I read somewhere that iBook is manufactured by ASUSTeK.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Does anybody know who is the actual OEM for mactel laptops?

BTW, I highly doubt that Intel themselves will design mactel laptop boards. These are custom designed by OEMs based on Intel's reference specs.

but intel *does* make their own desktop boards.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

I really hope Apple doesn't decide to save all the dual cores for PB's, despite the measely $30 (and for Apple, even smaller) difference.

In the chart you posted, both low-voltage chips are dual core. the U?ltra low voltage models won't be out til spring.

So a January iBook would have to be dual-core, right?

That said, I can't see Apple releasing dual-core 1.5 ghz iBooks w/667 FSB and 2MB cache, without updating PBs, too. Should be an interesting first quarter!
  • Reply 19 of 41
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Keep in mind that cheaper is larger when it comes to notebooks. So an "iBook mini" would actually be the high end of the iBook line, while the low end would have to be more like an iBrick desknote. (Of course, I don't expect Apple to ever make desknotes, but you get the idea.)

As for pros and Rosetta, here's a radical idea: What if Apple introduced a Mactel PowerBook but kept selling the PB G4. Then people would have a choice. Choose wisely...
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

As for pros and Rosetta, here's a radical idea: What if Apple introduced a Mactel PowerBook but kept selling the PB G4. Then people would have a choice. Choose wisely...

Exactly like how PMG4 was still available for a while when PMG5 was released...