Apple releases Front Row 1.0.1

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Friday released a 4MB Front Row 1.0.1 Update, which delivers "overall improved reliability and compatibility for browsing music, photos, and videos on your iMac."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    This update will only install on iMacs with a built-in iSight camera.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Makes sense. Anything else would be piracy, until Apple CHOOSES to sell their creation to other users.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Makes sense. Anything else would be piracy, until Apple CHOOSES to sell their creation to other users.

Yes I was just warning people before we got a debate about it.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I just got a 20" Apple display for my wife. I wish, hope, and desire a media center application to control TV inputs, my music, and DVD drive in the computer (to play movies).

I would purchase a 30" display and appropiate mac to run this rig and would love life! I wish Apple would hurry up with it already.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I just got a 20" Apple display for my wife. I wish, hope, and desire a media center application to control TV inputs, my music, and DVD drive in the computer (to play movies).

I would purchase a 30" display and appropiate mac to run this rig and would love life! I wish Apple would hurry up with it already.

Use a hacked version and your bluetooth phone as a remote.

Read this: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/macuser/news/...-download.html
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

I bet iLife '06 will have Front Row included with it and then there will be 3rd party devices, in addition to Apple's own add-on
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

I bet iLife '06 will have Front Row included with it and then there will be 3rd party devices, in addition to Apple's own add-on

That does make sense - it needs iLife to work properly.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    For those who want Front Row, Click here. I think the download link will be obvious.

Please follow the installation steps for Front Row 1.0 and how to update your copy to 1.0.1.

I have Front Row 1.0.1 running on my iMac G5 2.0 GHz and it works quite well.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

Apple is going to have to do a hell of a lot more than add Front Row to iLife '06 to convince me to buy it (and certainly far more than the previous iLife upgrade). I sincerely hope they make it available as an add-on to the current iLife with purchase of the Apple Remote or something like that.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

Apple is going to have to do a hell of a lot more than add Front Row to iLife '06 to convince me to buy it (and certainly far more than the previous iLife upgrade). I sincerely hope they make it available as an add-on to the current iLife with purchase of the Apple Remote or something like that.

If I had to guess, you'll see updates to Garage Band, iMovie and iPhoto PLUS Front Row...and, perhaps, something like an iPodcast application (basically a front-end to GarageBand and iTunes with some RSS stuff thrown in) that enables anyone and their brother to pull together all they need to do podcasting.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

i wouldn't bet on it
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I actually saw Front row for the first time this weekend and was more than a little impressed with it. In talking to the salesman (who knows I won a rev a 20" iMac) he indicated that Front Row has done more in selling iMacs than anything else. He can talk about all the great features on a Mac, but Front Row is the feature that has driven the sale. (He's currently out of stock!) One clue is to hold the remote control next to a Shuffle - no doubt where the design came from.

I believe that Apple will leverage Front Row, not only on the Mactels, but also to existing customers. The remote is not expensive and there will need to be a receiving device, but I have a feeling that Apple is very close.

I've got to admit that I was more than a little impressed with the app and hope it is added to iLife 06. I'll be in line for sure to buy one.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

I've got to admit that I was more than a little impressed with the app and hope it is added to iLife 06. I'll be in line for sure to buy one.

Apple will need to ensure good usability. Front Row needs a fast Mac and a remote receiver and remote (as you pointed out).

The remote has many design flaws - it cannot be used next to an iPod with the new dock as they clash and multiple iMacs cannot be next to each other. This will cause problems to teachers presenting in a class! They need different pairings and signatures to work effectively - Apple will need to implement some sort of feature soon. Bluetooth would be a more sensible option but then would drain more power because of the pairing process.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    can anyone that has front row access the movie trailer server? on apple's discussion boards there seems to be a lot of people reporting that it is down. i am not able to access it on any of the new imacs at the store i work at, nor does it work on any of the new imacs in the downtown san francisco or bay street apple stores...this seems to have something to do with the 1.0.1 update, because it worked without a hitch before that...no amount of cache or plist file deletion seems to remedy the situation...any thoughts?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trans9B

can anyone that has front row access the movie trailer server? on apple's discussion boards there seems to be a lot of people reporting that it is down. i am not able to access it on any of the new imacs at the store i work at, nor does it work on any of the new imacs in the downtown san francisco or bay street apple stores...this seems to have something to do with the 1.0.1 update, because it worked without a hitch before that...no amount of cache or plist file deletion seems to remedy the situation...any thoughts?

Nope. Just tried it and it said 'the movie trailer server is not responding' and quit.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

You should get an EyeTV.. That's all Apple will do is pump out an internal version of that. I use EVETV for my studio in New York City and I Love it! Don't need an expensive High Def TV or entertainment center.. just give me my Mac, a good pair of Speakers and my monitor and I'm set!