iMac G5 internal temp sensors

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, I'm just breaking in my brand new 20-inch 2.1GHz iMac G5 this weekend, and naturally the first thing I did was to put it through its paces by firing up World of Warcraft. As my old 800MHz DVI Powerbook used to double nicely as a portable stove while attempting to run the game, I was mostly curious to see how hot this new machine would get.

I fired up X Resource Graph to check and was pleased to see that where my old Powerbook had no internal temp sensors, this new iMac has eight. Trouble is... I'm not totally sure what they all are, and I'm even less sure they're right.

Most of them are self-evident but what component are "NB Temp" and "NB Ambient" measuring?

Also, there's an "Incoming Air" sensor which persistently gives a temperature much higher than room temperature. It's now about 20C (68F) ambient, but the incoming air sensor is reading 38.5C (101F).

Has anybody else noticed anything similar?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shalmaneser

Also, there's an "Incoming Air" sensor which persistently gives a temperature much higher than room temperature. It's now about 20C (68F) ambient, but the incoming air sensor is reading 38.5C (101F).

Has anybody else noticed anything similar?

Incoming air will be higher than ambient air temperature because the intake manifold will be warmer due to be so close to the heat source. Just like a car. On my car the intake temps are always a little higher than ambient because of the heat from the engine warming the intake tract.

You must have a new iMac. I cannont find an incoming air temp sensor my my G5 iMac 1st gen.

My hdd is at 118.4 F right now. What does your hdd run at?

It is 68 F in my house right now btw.