Yonah hot n hungry?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
According to this Register article Yonah will either be G4 speed and low power or fast and too hungry for a laptop. With the 2.1GHz unit being around 49W it won't be running a Powerbook anytime soon.

That low voltage G5 looks quite good now

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

According to this Register article Yonah will either be G4 speed and low power or fast and too hungry for a laptop. With the 2.1GHz unit being around 49W it won't be running a Powerbook anytime soon.

That low voltage G5 looks quite good now

The Register...lol.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

The Register...lol.

Ah, the geek equivalent of "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!".

El Reg is not making this up, they are printing Intel news, albeit via PCWatch.

Yonah looks less wonderful to me.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    it better not be g4 speed.

someone with knowledge in this field come and blast these statements!!!
  • Reply 4 of 55
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Yonah be dead and buried by 2H2006...
  • Reply 5 of 55
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

Actually, it is in accordance with TS predictions for an Intel iBook at first. A low power Yonah would prevent the new iBooks from entering the Powerbook territory, performance wise. Of course Apple could use older P-Ms.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

I'd love to have G4 speed. If you take today's G4. Make it dual core and add in a fast FSB you have a killer laptop chip. Clock for clock Yonah won't be much faster than a G4 but when you add in larger L2 cache and faster FSB it takes the lead.

49 watts by itself means nothing. It depends on where the hotspots on the chip are I think you'd find that a even a 970fx will rise in heat depending on its use. It's obvious though with dual cores that laptop cooling is going to have to take precedence over the desire for ridiculously thin laptops
  • Reply 7 of 55
    First of all - that's 49 W for the Dual Core processor. Half that for the single core. Next, that's 49W for full speed, full power dual core. In normal operation only a single core will be running until the second one is needed.

G4 speed my foot. At 1.5 Ghz (which is used on the really low power systems) its faster than all G4s.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Quote:

G4 speed my foot. At 1.5 Ghz (which is used on the really low power systems) its faster than all G4s

A Pentium M is at best equal to a G4 sans taking into account the FSB. I doubt that a 1.5Ghz Yonah single core is going to be much of a attraction to people that need the advantages of a Powerbook.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Does anyone have stats on the current 1.67 mhz G4 power consumption? If I'm reading this Freescale datasheet correctly, it looks like a 7447A at max dissipation would be in the high 20s wattage.

If so, this is comparable to the 15-24W quoted for 1.67 mhz L2400 package. So we're trading altivec for the faster FSB and larger cache. The real question is how Yonah and G4 compare at same chip speed. Does anyone have empirical data therein?
  • Reply 10 of 55
    To quote the Man in Black:

Apple on Intel "get use to disappointment"

Anyone still clinging to the Jobs fantasy that Intel was some sort of 'choice'?

Heh.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Whatever. The bottom line -- from a business perspective -- is that Mac powerbooks won't be any slower than Windows laptops. We're probably not going to see anything really impressive from Intel until they start finding ways to work Itanium into their consumer offerings. If the e600 and e700 were delivered in any sort of timely fashion, I'd bet they'd make better laptop CPUs than will the Yonah or any other P-M derivative in the immediate roadmap. But, still, at the end of the day there's plenty of business case for sticking with Intel.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    I'd like to see OSX running on this cheap PC:

£749 PC - Dual core, Digital TV etc etc etc

What a great spec for a low low price - if only we got all that on the G5

\
  • Reply 13 of 55
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    As Alex stated the Yonah supports throttling the CPUs of the cores independently. The heat issues claimed are likely worst case scenario for engineers.

LOL...funny. We're finally getting aways from sub 2100Mhz busses and slow clock speeds and you have people smirking about the Intel choice.

Quote:

What a great spec for a low low price - if only we got all that on the G5

That's kind of interesting but I'm not envious of boxen from unknown companies. I like the drive bay on top of the case.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    TDP is not power consumption. It's a specification delivered for the OEM engineers in order to make the right cooling system.

I will be more interested to know the powerconsumption of the yonah while running a DVD, writing a word document, CPU intensive tasks ...

That's said, a merom will be way more impressive in those aera.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

We're probably not going to see anything really impressive from Intel until they start finding ways to work Itanium into their consumer offerings.

Itanic? Please no.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Ah where's the news here? All the article states is the top Yonah CPUs fall into the 25 - 49W bracket. Intel stated as much a long time ago. The actual TDP is high 20s to 31W depending on the source, a bit higher than a G4 but that's 2 cores. Yonah runs cool and there's no news here other than Intel's new naming scheme.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Telomar is right, you guys need to chill. Nobody said (officially) that the Apple notebooks were going to use Yonah at all anyway. If they're Pentium-Ms they'll be plenty fast and cool... and the faster FSB should make them compute better at lower clock speeds. Frankly, given the timing, Pentium-M is more likely. Maybe Apple will use Yonah to make a dual-core PowerBook, maybe just the 17" model. If so, relax. It will be plenty fast and run cool enough. No need to panic.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Itanic? Please no.

I don't really want to get started with this, but from a theoretical/academic standpoint, Itanium[2] is very elegant and practical. It's just that we've seen that it takes a while for theory to trickle down until it's at the commodity stage, and that's what's happenning with Itanium. But it will happen, and the game industry looks like it will be leading the charge.

One thing is for certain though: stick a fork in superscalar CPUs . . . they're done. If it weren't for a little thing called "installed base" they'd be gone already.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    There are various levels of power consumption for Yonah and various levels of Yonah parts.

It will have an "E" part for presumably "Extreme" TDP versions of Yonah which will have >= 40 Watt TDP and >2.2 GHz. These are likely Sossamans (will have dual-CPU support (quad-core) in companion northbridge) and Yonah CPUs for 2" thick gaming laptops. A 2.4 GHz Yonah will generally be equivalent to a 2.4 GHz Athlon X2 or 2.4 GHz 970mp in performance. It will be faster in some things, but slower in others.

The "T" part is the normal voltage, highest volume Yonah part with 29 to 49 Watts TDP and up to 2.16 GHz. Apple can skim the 2 GHz 31 Watt TDP "T" parts if they are good at negotiating.

The "L" part is the official low voltage, somewhat lower volume Yonah part with 15 to 24 Watts TDP and up to 1.66 GHz.

The "U" part is the official ultra low voltage, lowest volume Yonah part with <14 Watts TDP and up to 1.3 GHz, but probably somewhere around 1.1 GHz.

There will likely be single core variants of all of these parts.

Intel TDP != AMD TDP != IBM max power != Freescale max power. The companies run an instruction mix through the CPU that they believe would produce the most power, that they believe is above any one user would put a processor through. They are not the same instruction mix, but for intents and purposes, all of the TDP or max power numbers should be the maximum power 99% of users would put a processor through. There really is no use arguing true Intel max power will be higher than IBM max power.

A 1.8 GHz dual-core Yonah will be able to run 1080p H.264 video at 30 fps. That's the power of a 1.8 or 2 GHz dual processor Power Mac G5 in a laptop. On top of that, it will literally feel faster and be faster for most of the apps (integer apps) a consumer user would use than a comparably clocked G5 machine or 8641D machine.

People keep on harping that there are low power G5 processors. Yes, there are, but look at the clock rate of those low power G5 processors. 1.6 GHz at 21 Watts maximum and 2 GHz at 50 Watts maximum for "power-optimized" parts. No power-optimized 1.8 GHz part given. The standard 1.8 GHz part is 37 Watts maximum.

Yonah will deliver similar clock rates and power consumption, but it has twice the cores and hence about twice the integer performance. The G5 will only be faster at single threaded FMADD heavy FPU and specific AltiVec unique problems.

For the Freescale 8641D, my estimate would be: typical power consumption for 1.4 GHz 7448 is about 10 Watts x 2 for maximum power consumption x 1.5 for dual-core = 30 Watts max power consumption for a 1.4 GHz 8641D. A 1.67 GHz 8641D will be in the neighborhood of 35 to 40 Watts. Lookee, Intel Yonah will be 24 Watts TDP at 1.67 GHz, almost half the power consumption.

You scale linearly for increased clock rate and quadradically for voltage increases necessary to get the higher clock rates. It can very easily be more than 80 Watts at 2 GHz. The only problem is that it won't be delivered until late 1H 06 or 2H 06. Still waiting on 7448 G4 upgrades to confirm that they are shipping the chip. It's not good sign that we haven't seen any yet.

By 2H 2006, Intel will have Merom out.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    ok, i love all the tech talk but i need to be sold on a potential laptop buy.

what should i wait for?

my activities usually run as so

powerpoint/keynote/word/excel

heavy internet browsing

Reason or any equivalent musical

program

and an occasional photoshop