TiVo: Mac TiVoToGo support coming in 2006

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
TiVo representatives this week reiterated a company pledge to release a Mac-compatible version of its popular TiVoToGo software, according to an online report.

TiVoToGo lets TiVo subscribes transfer recorded television programming to their laptop or desktop PC.

On Monday, the digital video recorder maker announced that it will be extending the feature to allow subscribers to transfer content to Apple's iPod digital music players and Sony's PlayStation portable devices.

TiVo earlier this year said it would bring the TiVoToGo feature to the Mac OS X platform, but has yet to deliver on the promise. The software currently supports only Windows PCs.

However, during a teleconference with CNet News.com this week, a TiVo representative reiterated that a Mac version is in the works, saying it would debut "sometime next year."

TiVo on Monday said it will begin testing the enhanced TiVoToGo feature in the coming weeks with a select group of TiVo Series2 subscribers who own an Apple video iPod or PSP devices.

The feature will reportedly be made available to the company's entire standalone TiVo Series2 subscriber base as early as the first quarter of next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    If you believe that, then I've got news for you.

Powerbooks Next Tuesday.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    If that was the case, why would TiVo confirm it? Neither Steve Jobs or Apple confirmed there would be a new PowerBook next Tuesday. It's just you speculating.

Now whether the TiVo Mac client will be delayed or not is a completely different issue.

Or do you think TiVo are lying when they say they're working on a Mac version?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    It's likely that they just vastly underestimated the time it'd take to port a large, Windows-only project to Mac OS X, and some marketer jumped the gun on the initial announcement.

I'm in the midst of such a project myself which has taken a number of developers over a year just to get to the beta stage. I'm glad our marketing team didn't make any promises or announcements about it.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

It's not that people think they're lying, it's more that people think TiVo hired one programmer to handle the port, and it's his side project. TiVo has been saying "a mac version is in the works" for over a year now (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Hopefully this isn't a December 2006 release. At least they're still making it though.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

If that was the case, why would TiVo confirm it? Neither Steve Jobs or Apple confirmed there would be a new PowerBook next Tuesday. It's just you speculating.

Now whether the TiVo Mac client will be delayed or not is a completely different issue.

Tivo had said Mac support was coming a few months after they rolled out the Windows version....which was over a year ago.

I love me some Tivo, but I've got three words for them...

Promises, promises, promises.....

bastards...

ok, 4 words.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by auxio

It's likely that they just vastly underestimated the time it'd take to port a large, Windows-only project to Mac OS X, and some marketer jumped the gun on the initial announcement.

I'm in the midst of such a project myself which has taken a number of developers over a year just to get to the beta stage. I'm glad our marketing team didn't make any promises or announcements about it.

You guys completed Maya. Whacha workin' on now?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    By the time Tivo puts out their version of TiVoToGo for the OSX 10.4, apple will drop 10.5 and the tivo software will break again. So, we'll probably be able to enjoy tivo to go for 6 to 8 months when it finally arrives next year.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    They are clearly trying to steal some shine glinting off of Apple to polish their stock.

Newsflash: It ain't workin'.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

You guys completed Maya. Whacha workin' on now?

*bzzzt* wrong answer, but thanks for playing.

The company I work for is actually based out of Calgary, but they're more known for their hardware than their software.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Meanwhile ReplayTV Mac owners point and laugh
  • Reply 11 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Here's some latest news on TiVo Desktop and TiVoToGo for Mac. There were Mac TiVo sightings at CES and I can't wait.