iTunes and users

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My Powerbook is set up so that there are usernames for all 3 of us in my flat. However, as we have Airport Express and I don't want loads of CDs laying around, how can I let them access my iTunes library without just letting them login as me whenever they use the system?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Are they logging onto your computer from their own or are the using your computer (as in sitting in front of it)? If the last option is the case:

Place the music in user/shared/music and tell iTunes to use that for music.

One problem. When adding music only the user adding the music can see it until you "rebuild" the library logged in as the other users.

Even better. Set up a cheapo used computer as headless server and load iTunes onto it and let it share its iTunes library onto the network.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thank you for this. However, I've tried to put it in the Shared folder and then pointing iTunes to it but it then says there is insufficient room for it all to be copied on Macintosh HD. Given that its a simple case of drag and drop, surely, what's the problem?

Also, I've just bout an Airport Express that I merely want to use for Airtunes, however, setting up it up on the network disrupts the exisitng wireless netwrok of my BT Broadband hub. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the help already.

Best,

Mike
  • Reply 3 of 3
    You'll probably have to uncheck the box in preferences that adds a copy of your music to iTunes-- it seems like it's planning on adding all your music a second time...

This way, the foolder can stay anywhere. You'll have to pay close attention when adding music, though because things can get messy with music all over the place.