GM Card excludes Mac users

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
GM Card has just excluded Mac users from using their credit card! The NEW agreement requires:

"To receive this information electronically, access, and retain any disclosures received, you will need a desktop or laptop personal computer with a minimum web browser version of Internet Explorer 5.5 or Netscape Navigator 6.2, and the ability to receive and read email."

I spoke with the Internet Dept. and objected to the Apple exclusion. The rep said Apple's market share was too small. I replied that Apple had a far more secure platform and a rapidly growing user base, and that American Express included Apple/Safari browser and the extra effort required to support Mac was insignificant. The rep then said "Microsoft had advised them to exclude Apple users".

I've used GM Card for 11 years and asked if they really wanted all Apple users to switch to another card. When the rep said again "Microsoft advised us in this matter and we're going with their recommendation", I asked to have my card cancelled.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    my original reply was going to be:

I wonder what would happen if microsoft told them to go jump off a cliff.

but then i decided to be more mature:

soon they will hopefully see that microsoft is no the all big powerful one. I hope they loose alot of business as a result of this (both companies!)

stu
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by john Twelker

GM Card has just excluded Mac users from using their credit card! The NEW agreement requires:

"To receive this information electronically, access, and retain any disclosures received, you will need a desktop or laptop personal computer with a minimum web browser version of Internet Explorer 5.5 or Netscape Navigator 6.2, and the ability to receive and read email."

I spoke with the Internet Dept. and objected to the Apple exclusion. The rep said Apple's market share was too small. I replied that Apple had a far more secure platform and a rapidly growing user base, and that American Express included Apple/Safari browser and the extra effort required to support Mac was insignificant. The rep then said "Microsoft had advised them to exclude Apple users".

I've used GM Card for 11 years and asked if they really wanted all Apple users to switch to another card. When the rep said again "Microsoft advised us in this matter and we're going with their recommendation", I asked to have my card cancelled.

I agree this is pretty retarded, but couldn't you just use IE for Mac or Firefox/Netscape on Mac as it seems to exclude browsers rather than operating systems?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think this is more of an issue of which browsers they've tested and guaranteed compatibility with rather than which ones you can actually use to access their site.

However, this is tres stupid.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    If it works in netscape, just use firefox, 'twill work, and email? come on, that works on all platforms, it is text with a line or two of SMTP code.

(I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that the banks mainframe and other key systems arent running windows)

Standards are standards.

UPDATE:

I just checked and it is a chase card, Chases credit card tools work just fine in Safari -- in OSX 10.3.7-10.4.3 (the only builds I have used as I am new to mac) so if you are having a problem, you may want to reset Safari

Having cancelled the card, I still think you were wise as GM cars SUCK, my Pontiac is living proof.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    I'm not familiar with GM cards - what does GM stand for?

Genetically modified?

I find using cards on the internet very challenging - I can't seem to remember the complex passwords I invent to try to maintain 2000 bit encryption
  • Reply 6 of 11
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    When did this happen? I was on the GM site a couple weeks ago I think and Safari was working fine for me.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    [QUOTE]

I agree this is pretty retarded, but couldn't you just use IE for Mac or Firefox/Netscape on Mac as it seems to exclude browsers rather than operating systems?

Safari worked fine when I paid my bill ... don't think they've made any changes yet. They're just asking users to agree to the new requirements ... then maybe when they switch over and Mac users complain, they reply "Not our problem ... you signed the agreement which plainly stated which browsers we support ..."
  • Reply 8 of 11
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I just made my GM Card payment with Safari. Worked just like it always does.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

I've used GM Card for 11 years and asked if they really wanted all Apple users to switch to another card. When the rep said again "Microsoft advised us in this matter and we're going with their recommendation", I asked to have my card cancelled

Do you think they gave a shit that you cancelled?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    GM has needed new managment for 30 years. The only reason I hope they survive is to keep the few hardworking people employed.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Justin

I'm not familiar with GM cards - what does GM stand for?

Genetically modified?

Close. GM (General Motors) has their own credit card out with VISA I believe, where the points you earn contributes to a new car from GM.

Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Do you think they gave a shit that you cancelled?

Yes, yes they did, especially a customer that's been with them for 11 years and gave them a lot of money (and could've gotten a lot more). You can bet he's not the only person who has canceled for this reason, either.

Take a course in Sales 101.