Windows Media Player for Intel Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

Another Intel Mac related question from me. Does anyone know if Microsoft are planning to release a new version of their Media Player for Intel Tiger? I believe WMV support is atrocious currently. Is the only way of playing them via VLC?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Flip4mac is also excellent wmv codec, but it's not free.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ic1male

Hi,

Another Intel Mac related question from me. Does anyone know if Microsoft are planning to release a new version of their Media Player for Intel Tiger? I believe WMV support is atrocious currently. Is the only way of playing them via VLC?

What makes you think that the current WMP won't work with the Mactels?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    That will be my sentence

"I believe WMV support is atrocious currently."

Honestly, trying to watch WMV files on OS X is pathetic. I tried watching a 720p WMV-HD video and I got about 1 frame per second using Microsoft's Media Player. Resizing a 320x240 video up to 640x480 to make it watchable results in a blocky picture. Compared to the Windows Media Player 10, the OS X version is a bag of bolts.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Well, your wish might be coming true, because microsoft is determined to push VC-1 to become standard, that means that microsoft has to reveal at least some innerworkings of the codec to public, and maybe then someone will make codec for mac as well. But big M:s history as standard maker tells me not to put my hopes too high.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Yeah, VLC is working on VC-1 support, and I'm sure VLC will be a universal binary soon enough.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Why do people even use MediaPlayer format at all? Streams always seem to take ages to buffer and the video quality is inferior for the same file size. You'd think that folks with web pages would want their visitors to have a good experience.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit

Why do people even use MediaPlayer format at all? Streams always seem to take ages to buffer and the video quality is inferior for the same file size. You'd think that folks with web pages would want their visitors to have a good experience.

What is the force behind Windows Media? Answer this question and all other answers become clear.