Question about Mac OS X Panther version

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I took my father in to the local Apple store and I must say I am impressed with the Mac Mini and the Tiger OS. However, I have seen some Mini's for sale on fleabay but most seem to have the Panther version of the OS.

The only reason we like he Mac for my father is that he has bad vision and the built-in Zoom/Voice Over functions extremely well. I have tried to determine if the Panther OS had that option as well, does anyone know if that is the case? Or is that an addition to the Tiger version?

Just in case anyone else is curious, there is a program for MS Windows that adds the zoom/voice feature, but it doesn't work as well as the built-in Mac version. Not to mention it is $500 for the zoom program, $799 for the zoom with voice. Since he has an old computer it makes more sense to purchase the whole new Mac Mini.

Thanks,

Mark.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Panther has zoom and voice over
  • Reply 2 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Actually, VoiceOver was added with Tiger. Zoom, however, is there in Panther.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thanks for the responses, I found a website that concurs with Chucker, the voiceover was added in the Tiger release.

http://www.macvisionaries.com/index.php

If my father gets this Mini, I will probably end up utilizing this board as a resource from time to time. I am an "expert" on the MS side of things but the Mac world is new to me. After watching the sales guy at the Mac store go to the System Preferences and make some adjustments, I feel very comfortable that I can bump around the Mac OS. But I know that I will stumble everyonce and a while and I see that this is a great resource.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Perhaps I misunderstood the feature...

My Panther install has a checkbox in the Spoken User Interface Tab of the Speech panel called "Text under the Mouse" if I have this box checked and I move the mouse cursor over some text it will say whatever my mouse is over.

EDIT: I just looked up "VoiceOver" on Tiger and indeed it is a new feature. It seems pretty neat, but the basic functionality is still in Panther.

• Reply 5 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

EDIT: I just looked up "VoiceOver" on Tiger and indeed it is a new feature. It seems pretty neat, but the basic functionality is still in Panther.

Yes. VoiceOver is basically an enhancement of existing text-to-speech technology.