OS X & Vista

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ok.. after looking at this it never ceases to amaze me that MS couldnt come up with someting more original. Which came first, was it Apple's idea or was it MS's? ie: the sidebar blurb and the rest of the tech..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/organization.mspx

I mean c'mon M$! Quit making your OS to look like Apples! Geeesh

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    this isn't anything new, Microsoft stealing common OS elements, but i think that Vista looks pretty kickass. i just hope that Leopard can upstage them.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

this isn't anything new, Microsoft stealing common OS elements, but i think that Vista looks pretty kickass. i just hope that Leopard can upstage them.

I would have to disagree... it just has alpha transparency programmed into the desktop and UI.. which for all intents and purposes is just redundant eyecandy, which I could do without, along the lines of Apple using it. All the bells n whistles that OS X has is cool, but really, what matters is stability, ease of use, and all the rest of the non cosmetic functions. But that is just my 2 cents...
  • Reply 3 of 49
    There's a difference between eye candy and elegance. Note the difference between an AlienWare box and a G5.

Windows Vista has eye candy, but once you layer maybe three or four windows on top of each other, it's rather nauseating.

I really hope that Leopard does get an overhaul, though.

Cosmetics are really important, but in the sense that they add to the feng shui of the computing experience, and for that to happen, they need to not stand out.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The images used in the Windows screenshot look like desktops I've seen online. I wonder if MS has properly licensed them?
  • Reply 5 of 49
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

The images used in the Windows screenshot look like desktops I've seen online. I wonder if MS has properly licensed them?

You've got things upside down. The reason you see Vista wallpapers online is because they got copied off leaked builds.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    So is the new "innovative", OMG you'll s*** your pants GUI still going to come for Vista? They sure seem to be putting a lot of work and making changes to this temporary UI if thats the case. I've been hearing from MS fanboys that they were keeping the wraps on this AMAZING new UI so Apple didn't steal it or some delusional reasoning like that.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    LOL

"Windows Sidebar" = Dashboard

"Folders & Virtual Folders" somewhat = to saved Spotlight searches, right?

"Quick Search Box" = Spotlight

and "Internet Explorer Quick Tabs / RSS" = Safari + RSS.

All I can say is just

ROTFLMFAO.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Dashboard = Konfabulator

Spotlight = BeOS queries

Safari + RSS = Firefox RSS/Live Bookmarks.

Your point?
  • Reply 9 of 49
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

You've got things upside down. The reason you see Vista wallpapers online is because they got copied off leaked builds.

Um, I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I've seen some before on desktop sites like InterfaceLIFT or perhaps individual designers like mandolux. But perhaps I'm wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The sidebar has been an option since like 98.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Safari + RSS = Firefox RSS/Live Bookmarks.

[/B]

Firefox shows headlines - it's not a feed reader.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

The sidebar has been an option since like 98.

The sidebar is a new feature in Vista.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Dashboard = Konfabulator

= some desktop elements thing in the pre-system7 MacOS IIRC

This is why software patents suck, in softawre in this day and age, everything is just new combinations of stuff that has been arround for ages.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

The sidebar is a new feature in Vista.

I think he is referring to that third-party software: Samurize.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by speed_the_collapse

"Folders & Virtual Folders" somewhat = to saved Spotlight searches, right?

I believe the word you're looking for is "Smart Folders" That's what apple calls them.

The sidebar is nowhere near as nice as Dashboard. Dashboard utilizes the whole screen. Sidebar only utilizes part of it. And will there be an option to toggle sidebar like there is for Dashboard? Or is it there all the time? It sort of looks like an apple dock with widgets on it.

Also, from the Windows users that I know, the whole overdone transparency thing isn't going to bode well with a lot of the Windows public. Apple uses transparency in its UI very sophisticatedly (sic), Remember in 10.1 & 2, the menu bars were too transparent for people's likes, and so they had to get rid of them

So, if Mac users, people who like an attractive design had a problem with that much transparency, imagine what Windows users are going to think of the transparency in Vista, people who (from my experience) almost seem to pride themselves on their UGLY UI.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

I believe the word you're looking for is "Smart Folders" That's what apple calls them.

The sidebar is nowhere near as nice as Dashboard. Dashboard utilizes the whole screen. Sidebar only utilizes part of it. And will there be an option to toggle sidebar like there is for Dashboard? Or is it there all the time? It sort of looks like an apple dock with widgets on it.

Also, from the Windows users that I know, the whole overdone transparency thing isn't going to bode well with a lot of the Windows public. Apple uses transparency in its UI very sophisticatedly (sic), Remember in 10.1 & 2, the menu bars were too transparent for people's likes, and so they had to get rid of them

So, if Mac users, people who like an attractive design had a problem with that much transparency, imagine what Windows users are going to think of the transparency in Vista, people who (from my experience) almost seem to pride themselves on their UGLY UI.

I would tend to agree. XP by far is quite ugly and a bad attempt at OS X aqua. The whole "glass" UI will be just as cheesy. Im glad Apple toned down the transparency within the menus..
  • Reply 17 of 49
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Firefox shows headlines - it's not a feed reader.

Sage.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    My God, Microsoft really are shameless aren't they?
  • Reply 19 of 49
    I got my first Mac (14" iBook G4 933MHz) a couple weeks after Panther was released so I did not get to experience the original Aqua UI. Looking at the pictures the transparency is too much and those horizontal lines stick out like a sore thumb, almost as much as the dead space in the menus so I am glad Apple did something about the UI. The brushed metal theme that Safari and Finder uses is ok, but it was a little too much in the old iTunes. I really like the platinum(?) look of the current iTunes, Mail, and the QuickTime window that opens when watching music videos in iTunes, but Apple needs to work on getting the windows to be consistent.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

The brushed metal theme that Safari and Finder uses is ok, but it was a little too much in the old iTunes. I really like the platinum(?) look of the current iTunes, Mail, and the QuickTime window that opens when watching music videos in iTunes, but Apple needs to work on getting the windows to be consistent.

I personally, like the inconsistent themes in the applications. The brushed metal theme works better for some applications than it does for others. It helps give your interface some variety and makes things easier to look at. If you tie yourself down to one interface, there will be situations where that interface doesn't work as well and then what do you do? Can you picture OS X in completely brushed metal? Or completely Mail UI? Or iTunes UI? Ugh.