can i carbon copy clone a new powermac's hd and still have upgrade assistant work?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi, i'm expecting my quad machine soon. i'm replacing the internal drive with a striped raid of two 500 gig drives. i'm also upgrading from my aluminum powerbook. can i just hook the new powermac up to my powerbook in target disk mode and then ccc the disk onto one of my externals to make a disk image? then reclone that back to the raid and still have the upgrade assistant work on my powerbook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

hi, i'm expecting my quad machine soon. i'm replacing the internal drive with a striped raid of two 500 gig drives. i'm also upgrading from my aluminum powerbook. can i just hook the new powermac up to my powerbook in target disk mode and then ccc the disk onto one of my externals to make a disk image? then reclone that back to the raid and still have the upgrade assistant work on my powerbook?

I know a lot of people do this, but I would want to have the OS put on by the installer on the Quad, not cloned from a laptop. The OS may be different if the Installer knows it is a Quad.

Why not just install the OS after you set up your RAID, and then use the Migration Assistant during that install? That seems the safest way to me - that way you know that you have the correct OS configuration on the Quad, and you still get all your non-OS stuff brought over by the Assistant.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    sorry, that's what i intended. i suppose i could just install the system with software restore disks once i installed the raid. i don't have to clone the original quad's system to put it on the raid. that's where i was sorta screwed up.

the restore disks have the exact same image on them as the computer comes with right? using the restore disks will be the same as cloning the original quad disk to the raid?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    wow... a quad. That would fly.

I just upgraded the ram in my 1.25Ghz eMac, and now im gobsmacked by how smooth it is - your computer is out-of-this-world by comparison.

Out of curiosity, what will you use it for (if you don't mind me asking)?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    lots of desktop publishing stuff. heavy photoshop and indesign. doing a bit more web work now and i am planning on getting more into video. i upgraded and waited for the 7800 because of the greater performance in motion 2.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

sorry, that's what i intended. i suppose i could just install the system with software restore disks once i installed the raid. i don't have to clone the original quad's system to put it on the raid. that's where i was sorta screwed up.

the restore disks have the exact same image on them as the computer comes with right? using the restore disks will be the same as cloning the original quad disk to the raid?

Yep. That's what I would do. You are going to have to reinstall anyway since making the RAID is a reformat. Personally I have never used the "restore" disks but my understanding is that they are complete systems, just custom for that computer to discourage copying and sharing. If you could not use them to install a fresh system, no one would be able to partition their drives.

It seems as if you would

- connect the PB and boot it in FW Target Disk Mode.

- boot the G5 from the Restore disk and partition/RAID/install

- when the installer asks if you want to run the Migration Assistant, run it.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    need some help here. i've installed the sata drives:

1) 1 at a time with the original drive in1st position.

2) together with the system cd

3) together booting off of a firewire drive

at no point can disk utility see either of the new drives in order for me to initialize them. sorta weird. i guess for now i'll just put in the original drive until i can figure it out.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

need some help here. i've installed the sata drives:

1) 1 at a time with the original drive in1st position.

2) together with the system cd

3) together booting off of a firewire drive

at no point can disk utility see either of the new drives in order for me to initialize them. sorta weird. i guess for now i'll just put in the original drive until i can figure it out.

I just reviewed the installation manual for a replacement hard drive in the G5 and there is nothing special there.

I wonder if resetting the Open Firmware would help:

How to Reset open firmware (clearing nvram)

Boot up with Command + Option + O + F keys held down to get to the OF terminal screen, then enter these commands

reset-nvram

set-defaults

reset-all
  • Reply 8 of 10
    well, these seagate drives are incompatible with the new powermac. so i guess i won't be installing the raid any time soon.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

well, these seagate drives are incompatible with the new powermac. so i guess i won't be installing the raid any time soon.

Bummer. I would have thought that any serial ATA would work. Can you tell us what the incompatibility is, so we can tell others?

Hopefully you can return them.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    according to rob-art at barefeats, apple has switched to a sata controller that won't tolerate Spread Spectrum Clockin (SSC) being enabled on the hard drives. the seagate 7200.9 500Gb drive has SSC enabled. there might be a firmware upgrade coming from seagate, but i think people are still waiting to hear.