Pioneer DL Superdrive upgrade HELP!!!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all, I just bought the Pioneer DVR-K05 DL Superdrive to upgrade my Powerbook G4 1 ghz 17". The installation was perfect, thanks to pbfixit.com. I booted back up and according to ASP, the drive is working, apple supported, ready for DL burning, (it IS reading as slave but whatever, no biggie I think).

Problem.... It won't accept media!!! It doesn't even suck it into the drive. Please help me figure this out. I put the old Matshita back and it works fine. Could it be a result of the slave/master issue? I thought that was only a problem if you wanted to boot from CD. Or is it a drive alignment issue? The OEM brackets on the Matshita fit perfectly and I have seen plenty of posts from other PB users who have had no problem.

I sent the drive back to mwave.com and they sent me a new one... SAME PROBLEM!!! Help me AI crew... your'e my only hope.

Calimac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    I have never done a optical drive upgrade on an ibook or powerbook before, but I can tell you that it does matter if the other drive is on master and the drive you are trying to install is on slave, try changing the drive to master on the pin settings and re-installing it.

that is the only thing I can think of

-iGrant
  • Reply 2 of 4
    PROBLEM SOLVED!

I called MCE who sells the same drive specifically for mac but under their name, and they have the solution...

When you remove the mounting brackets off the OEM drive and install them onto the new drive, the screws on the right side, (if your facing the drive as it is installed... or the side that has the angle to it), when tightened, interfere with the slot loading mechanism. MCE has washers that they include with their drives to alleviate the problem! They said it is common with all PB 15" and 17". They are sending me the washers even though I didn't buy from them.

To test their theory, I put the brackets on but left them loose so the screws were not tight at all on the bracket. I used tape to keep the brackets from rattling (kinda jury-rigged until the washers arrive)... closed it all up and VOILA!!! IT WORKS!!!

Thanks for the help,

Calimac
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Wow. Never heard of that one before. And getting those washers is cool. sometimes companies don't do that just to help people out. Got to remember that company.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    I really did not think that would have fixed that . . . that is very good to know. . . Glad you got it fixed