iTunes being laggy, even though i have 750mb of RAM?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey all,

i figured this should go here as it's a help issue than an iTunes one.

Ok here's the problem.

I just bumped my 1.25Ghz eMac up to over 750mb of RAM and yet iTunes still seems to be lagging behind. This lag occurs mainly when i change the genre of a song.

eg. if the song is playing, and originally it is listed as 'Electronica/Dance', if i change it to 'House' the little spinning wheel flashes for about 3 seconds. With roughly 1900 songs to label correctly, this is starting to get to me. It doesn't cause the music to skip, pause, etc, it just means i can't do anything for 2 seconds.

Now i've noticed something about this: it doesn't happen when i first start up iTunes, but after 5 mins (or so) use it does. Quitting iTunes gives a temporary fix.

That's all i can think of for now. Except my other applications work fine, and this problem existed before i upgraded the RAM (previously i assumed it was caused by a lack of memory). Also, i can't remember noticing it prior to version 6.0.1 (but maybe it was there).

Also, perhaps im just being a whinging bitch, and this is simply normal behaviour (seems unlikely to me).

If you can help,

that'd be great.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Ahhh.... it is also present if i change 'My Rating' with the song.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    think ive kind of fixed it. Had an app named Sizzling Keys set up so that a floating window showed the current track that had just started. Didn't like it when you changed the information about.... i'll turn it back on once i've finished editing things.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    i take it back. it isn't fixed.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Not exactly normal. It's going to be tough to track down the problem though. Usually when you see the spinning wheel, it isn't computation but it is the app (in this case iTunes) waiting for something, either a network resource or a file system resource. Unfortunately there is no easy way to get it to tell you what it is waiting for.

Some notorious culprits are the iDisk synchronization and widgets.

So the best advice is to start shutting off everything like that - close widgets, set all syncing to manual, etc.

In the meantime, you can select a bunch of tracks by shift-clicking or command-clicking, choosing Get Info, and changing the tag on all of them at the same time. For example if there are some Trance that you want to change to something else, search for Trance, and then in the resulting selection select the ones you want to change so they are all highlighted and then Get Info and change them.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

i take it back. it isn't fixed.

clean your caches with cocktail. if the issue is still there then it might be your hard drive size. also, if you're editing info for videos, this will take some time.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Some notorious culprits are the iDisk synchronization and widgets.

So the best advice is to start shutting off everything like that - close widgets, set all syncing to manual, etc.

I don't even know what iDisk does. Isn't is connected to the .mac stuff? (which im not a member of)