any mapping software for Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
back when I used to be on XP, I used microsoft streets. Is there anything similar for Mac that people use?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Route 66 is about all there is, and it works but is not all that great. Since DeLorme stopped supporting macs we don't have much choice.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Route 66 "works" but is a piece of shit app.

What I REEEEEEEEEEEALLY want is GIS. Screw street atlases, now that I've used ArcMap all I want is GIS. Of course ArcMap is an abomination, dealing with complex topics, but with an hard to use interface. An Aqua GIS app would be so über cool. Wonder if it will happen in a while, considering Macs getting back in to academia and science fields.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but there is Mac GPS Pro. It is a programme that has topo maps from the fifty states and from some national parks.

Go to macgpspro.com, and see what they have.

They call their maps MacTopos, if I remember rightly.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    MacGPS Pro is a very good program. Microsoft Streets I believe gives you the gps with your purchase MacGPS does not. We used it for scouting trips ( boating and camping). Never tried it in a car since we already have gps's in them.

reg
  • Reply 5 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Have you people seen what GIS is? That is still a joke compared to ArcMap. I want GIS on Mac!!! Anyone here that hasn't seen it in action would LOVE it. It's really frickin cool stuff. And a Big Thing on Tablets in the future, actually. My friend will be testing tablets with GIS for the RI Dept of Environmental Management for example.

Also, I tried GRASS. And...I couldn't figure out how to open a coverage (in the interchange, e00 format.) It's a stupid UNIX / X11 app, with command line crap and stuff. I hate those. I hope when Apple marketshare especially in academia and science go up that a GIS app is ported or created.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    I'm still waiting for a mac navigation app. there really isn't anything out there to compete with the windoz bunch. ever since maxsea dropped the mac support back in the os 9 days. if i could just find somebody with an old mac version i could run it under emulation. I hate the notion that i will need to get a whole fricken windoz computer and the software just to use the maps to navigate my boat.

sigh...