New "Cars" Teaser

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Anyone seen this yet? To me it exudes that Pixar feel-- warm, funny, rich graphics. Looking forward to it-- wondering about the plot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ricksbrain

Anyone seen this yet? To me it exudes that Pixar feel-- warm, funny, rich graphics. Looking forward to it-- wondering about the plot.

I agree. There' a "felt" quality to Pixar's stuff that separates it from the Disney/Dreamworks style of "lots of 'hip' references and toilet humor for the all important 12 year boy demographic" CG offerings.

"Cars" marks the return of John "Toy Story" Lassiter to the director's chair, so I wouldn't worry about the plot-- Pixar is extremely story driven, and none more than Lassiter. I think it's the willingness to spend time really pouring some love into the stories and characters that make Pixar so good.

Well, that and the head and shoulders above the pack animation.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Heh.

The stoned VW Lovewagon and uptight Jeep scene was hilarious.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'm usually underwhelmed by Pixar teasers and even the trailers for whatever reason. The last trailer I saw that I thought was funny was from A Bug's Life. Of course, the movies themselves have so far all been really good, and I think they resist the temptation to put the best jokes in the trailers.

Anyway, this one for Cars is an exception to that rule of thumb. I though it was good, and certainly better than the first trailer which wasn't bad, just didn't pique my interest that much (the bar is high however given the source).

And, yes, most other animation stuff these days is so packed full of in-jokes to the parents that they barely get in their own original, and therefore funnier, humor. To be sure, there's plenty of that going on in Pixar films, just that they know to mix it up with humor based on the circumstances in the story rather than an endless string of non-sequiturs and constant winking towards the audience.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Heh.

The stoned VW Lovewagon and uptight Jeep scene was hilarious.

Yeah, that was amazing. I had completely put this on my turkey list until the second trailer came out.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yep, that first teaser was just kinda flat. i think this movie, for me, will be like a bug's life. the previews just never really did much for me, but i went to see it in the theaters, trusting that pixar wouldn't let me down, and they didn't.

was it steve that called lassiter "pixar's greatest asset", or someone else? because i'd believe it.