ESPN mulls deal with Apple's iTunes download service

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Walt Disney Co.'s ESPN cable sports network is mulling a deal to distribute some television programs on Apple's iTunes music and video service, possibly joining its corporate cousin ABC in a landmark deal, according to Reuters

Although ESPN has not yet held talks with Apple, the top rated cable sports network is looking to deliver its lineup of original shows and game clips to "any pipe, any device," said ESPN and ABC Sports president George Bodenheimer at the UBS global media conference.

"We're not just in the TV business anymore ... We're going to the table as a sports media company," Bodenheimer said.

ESPN is just one of several networks to recently express interest in providing content over Apple's iTunes download service. Among the others are CBS Digital, which recently confirmed that it had held talks with Apple, and Fox and Clear Channel, both of which are reportedly "open" to iTunes deals.

Apple's iTunes video download service has been hailed as nothing short of a hit, selling more than 1 million videos at $1.99 in its first 20 days. Analysts have since gone on record to say they believe Apple has sold well over 2 million videos since October 12th, when the service first launched.

It's also believed that Apple plans to announce a major update to its video download service early next year, which would include a plethora of new content partners and possibly feature films.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hey, even if they would just make sportscenter ipod downloadable (even with commercials), that would be great.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Boy, I just can't wait until this is over with. It's all I'm reading about.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    It does fly in the face of those who had negative comments about the video portion of the iPod.

Those who also continue to complain that Apple has no new content providers signed for video on iTunes.

Apple continues to talk and sign new partners.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    As someone who doesn't have cable, and doesn't particularly want it, I'd love to be able to subscribe to download ESPN and Comedy central shows for say, $5 a month each. It could evem be a temporary download that killed itself after a while and wasn't burnable, that'd be fine with me.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    check out the new networks on iTunes! just noticed them tonight: NBC, SciFi, and USA.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Well, here we go again!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Excellent. I can finally watch 'Best Damn Sports'.

Oh, wait...that's not on ESPN.

Rats!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    One question... WHERE THE HECK IS THE WB LINE-UP ON iTUNES!!!

Really though. C'mon! There hasn't been 1 talk of a WB show on iTunes yet. How come?

Ok... at a risk of sounding like a nerd here. There are some shows I'd like to watch that I miss often. Smallville being one of them. I would buy each episode each week that I miss to keep up if it were offered.

Does the WB hate Apple or somethng? What's the deal here?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by BEatMaKeR

One question... WHERE THE HECK IS THE WB LINE-UP ON iTUNES!!!

Really though. C'mon! There hasn't been 1 talk of a WB show on iTunes yet. How come?

Ok... at a risk of sounding like a nerd here. There are some shows I'd like to watch that I miss often. Smallville being one of them. I would buy each episode each week that I miss to keep up if it were offered.

Does the WB hate Apple or somethng? What's the deal here?

Give them time. First CBS has to come on board. Then ESPN actually has to do what they've said.

Safety in numbers. The more that do this, the more the others will feel compelled to follow.

It's a snowball thing. But they're sitting, and watching, you can be sure.