What to do with a dead powerbook...?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So... my mom had her 1.5ghz 12" superdrive powerbook in her car yesterday. Somehow it managed to fall out of the passenger seat approx. 5ft down and onto the cement driveway. To say the least its days as a computer are over.

She took it over to CompUSA and they confirmed that it was in fact not worth repairing. So my question to you is: What could/should i do with this powerbook corpse?

I was thinking of dismantling it to find what needed to be replaced and maybe trying to repair it myself with parts from ebay.... or selling it for parts on ebay... or beating it with a hammer...

Any good ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    So what I gather from your post is that your mom is driving a super SUV, or a big rig...

Otherwise I have nothing much to add...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Take it apart. And sell the parts.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

So what I gather from your post is that your mom is driving a super SUV, or a big rig...

Otherwise I have nothing much to add...

unfortunately shes the proud captain of a ford excursion (I hate it), this incident is yet another reason why she should get something smaller.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Take it apart. And sell the parts.

I'd go for this too. Test the HDD to see if it's had too much of a shock to carry on working. Any idea what has been damaged? I'm assuming it's the board, because surely something like a hard drive would be worth repairing.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Or get it repaired by Apple?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Fishcake

I'd go for this too. Test the HDD to see if it's had too much of a shock to carry on working. Any idea what has been damaged? I'm assuming it's the board, because surely something like a hard drive would be worth repairing.

I didn't get the full list of damaged parts, but I believe they called to tell her the hard drive is in tact and if she wants the data transferred over to a new laptop they could do that (for a hefty fee I assume).

I'll try to get it back and find out what is and isnt actually working.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Market it as the latest upgrade to a Windows PC

I carry my laptop on my bike so I guess it's at risk of a similar death....as I am from Ford drivers and SUVs...
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Justin

Market it as the latest upgrade to a Windows PC

I carry my laptop on my bike so I guess it's at risk of a similar death....as I am from Ford drivers and SUVs...

its the chevy drivers you should be worried about
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

its the chevy drivers you should be worried about

They're a few thousand miles away in the States - I live in England

Fingers crossed they won't start coming over now...
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I will admit, you guys have a much better selection of cars over there in England. I've been watching a lot of "Top Gear" lately and some of the cars they review are crazy. You guys get renaut, citroen, peaugout (sp?), fiat... the list goes on and on.

I wish we could trade chevy/ford/gm for some of those brands.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    YOU FORGOT SMART! HOW DARE YOU!

A friend of mine is trying to get one of those into the United States, as are many people evidently.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

you guys have a much better selection of cars over there in England. I've been watching a lot of "Top Gear" lately and some of the cars they review are crazy. You guys get renaut, citroen, peaugout (sp?), fiat... the list goes on and on.

Renaut and Citroen are French (very unreliable cars). Peugeot aren't too bad - they're okay. Fiat have had a terrible reliability record.

As much as it is a cliche, I love the grand sizes of American cars. They're so fat there so's much room in the seats - it makes European cars seem like they're designed for midgets.

This is what I drive:

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/..._360s_enhanced

It's really tiny
  • Reply 13 of 16
    pretty darn small! I always loved the S2000, but it seems kinda expensive compared to the competition. How is it in the snow? (That is if it snows where you live... i bet the S2000's a blast for dougnutting in)

lol i alternate between a 1998 new beetle and a 2005 RSX Type-S.

The beetle is far and away more comfortable.... and much better in the snow but its got nothing on the RSX's speed.

(I should probably point out at this time that i'm an 18 year old male and in high school. I get a lot of shit for driving a bug, but its really a nice little car)
  • Reply 14 of 16
    the S2000 isn't cheap...but that didn't bother me until I went back to college (I'm doing it the other way round

Snow? What snow?? Snow in England??! London is in the south - we're shielded by Wales (some places get 75% rain). We might get snow for about 3 days or even a week in a year here. When we do, it's ffrrrreeezzing. Your beetle is cool and practical - especially if you're just 18. (Lucky dog!) The heated leather seats of the S2000 make up for it though. My GF won't let me rip-roar - she's threatened to break my throttle if I ever ride it like I used to.

Now a Smart car.....perfect for women
  • Reply 15 of 16
    lol, my dad said if/when they bring smart to the states he wants one of the little roadsters. He fell in love with them on vacation in london.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    The Smarts look good - but have you seen the way the drivers get on with them?! Worse than Ford Chevvys

Parking in the city is the best thing - it takes up about half the size of a car and can squash in to impossibly small places. Two seater as well - pretty hard finding room for the shopping...