Firewire 800 for iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does anyone have any experience with this firewire 800 cable for the iPod. I know theoretically firewire 800 is substantially faster than usb 2.0 but I wasn't sure if iTunes and the iPod would actually be able to take advantage of it.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...k800/index.php

Pretty good price too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    What kind of iPod do you have? It will work with all pre-5th gen iPods with video and iPod nano. It will probably be somewhat faster for syncing. I am not sure, though, as I do not have one personally.

It will be totally useless if you have a 5th gen iPod with video, which do not have Firewire any longer.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    This shouldn't improve your syncing speed if you're using firewire 400 (it's limited by the hardware in your ipod, which is firewire 400/usb). However, if you're using usb, any type of firewire should help the speed as both FW 400 and 800 are faster than USB. From the website:

"Can Dock800 increase the transfer speed of my iPod?

There is no difference in transfer speed. Dock800 is designed to free up your FireWire 400 ports for improved productivity and flexibility."
  • Reply 3 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lupa

However, if you're using usb, any type of firewire should help the speed as both FW 400 and 800 are faster than USB.

Except, of course, that the hard drive in the iPod is nowhere near the possible speed of USB 2 or FireWire 400, let alone 800.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Try using your ipod as a hard drive and tell me USB2 and firewire 400 are the same speed. Firewire may just have been faster for me because I was using other programs at the same time (which I think is what people tend to do) but I managed to transfer about 2 gigs onto my ipod about twice as fast as usb2.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lupa

Try using your ipod as a hard drive and tell me USB2 and firewire 400 are the same speed. Firewire may just have been faster for me because I was using other programs at the same time (which I think is what people tend to do) but I managed to transfer about 2 gigs onto my ipod about twice as fast as usb2.

USB 2 has much more CPU overhead than FireWire does, so that may have been your problem.