Getting a PowerBook: What should I know?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm almost positive that I'll be getting a PowerBook (15") within the next month or two. What should I know? I'll be moving from an iMac FP, so I'm used to a desk keyboard and MX1000. I'll get over it. Are there any awesome laptop-centric utilities (I had a vision of tapping the corners of the trackpad to act as right, center, Exposé, etc. buttons? cell phone interaction... battery monitoring)?

I'm a student. I'm used to carrying around a backpack with notebooks, textbooks, etc.. What would be the best way to carry the 'Book? Does the battery last long enough for a day of school or should I bring the power adapter?

I'm just looking for any wisdom of experience from the AI community.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    first thing to do, wait four weeks. then, we'll talk.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

first thing to do, wait four weeks. then, we'll talk.

I don't really want an Intel 'Book now. For a while, there will be way too much Rosetta emulation.

If any updates are REALLY good, I'll take the eBay/store return route.

I'm looking for other tips.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by PathD?mon

I don't really want an Intel 'Book now. For a while, there will be way too much Rosetta emulation.

If any updates are REALLY good, I'll take the eBay/store return route.

I'm looking for other tips.

ok, well another side to that coin is that since the Pbooks are basically the same specs as they were 2 years ago, they're overpriced right now. so...with the new intel books, you could probably get a good deal on the G4s...

aside from that...

battery life on my 12 incher is 3-4 hours on a good day with casual constant use with the airport on. what size were you looking at? i recommend 12 if you're gonna be carrying it around with you alot--i bought a slip cover for mine and then throw it in my bag. 12 is very practical, 15 can be alright, and 17 is just ridiculous for mobile use. if that's not a factor, then go 15 all the way--it's a great computer all-around.

the current track-pad on those have some new thing with scrolling pages, but i dont know much about it (mine's from before that was put in).
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

ok, well another side to that coin is that since the Pbooks are basically the same specs as they were 2 years ago, they're overpriced right now. so...with the new intel books, you could probably get a good deal on the G4s...

aside from that...

battery life on my 12 incher is 3-4 hours on a good day with casual constant use with the airport on. what size were you looking at? i recommend 12 if you're gonna be carrying it around with you alot--i bought a slip cover for mine and then throw it in my bag. 12 is very practical, 15 can be alright, and 17 is just ridiculous for mobile use. if that's not a factor, then go 15 all the way--it's a great computer all-around.

the current track-pad on those have some new thing with scrolling pages, but i dont know much about it (mine's from before that was put in).

I was looking at a 15" for exactly the reasons of your first point ? they HAVE changed a bit:
    • 1.67Ghz G4 [edit]

• 1440 x 960 screen

• ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128MB of DDR SDRAM and dual-link DVI (can drive almost any display)

• Combined analog and optical digital line-in/out

• DVD+R DL/DVD±RW SuperDrive

• Fiber keyboard (in the 15")

• Gig ethernet

• 802.11g, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

• Sudden motion sensor

• Happy trackpad

...The 12" is missing a lot of that.

Apples are always overpriced, but hey... educational discount!

I'll ignore your point (for now) about waiting until they get cheap (though you may be right) for various reasons.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    processor?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

processor?

Small detail.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Er, get one?

(Btw - what's the question?)
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Ok. I'm up to speed.

The battery won't last you the morning! Someone else told me that the battery lasts 5 hours - both of my new batteries only last 2-3 hours each, however that gets me through as much of the day as I want, sitting in front of a laptop.

The best way to carry them is http://www.radtech.us/

I quite like the indestructible hard shells but they really

are impractical. I tend to use a Powersleeve and neoprene case, in a dedicated rucksack bag since I go paddling - er..cycling in the rain.

I don't think the prices are unreasonable (with educational discounts) - I got mine for a great deal with lots of freebies thrown in. Don't get put off by the slower sounding processor either: my 1.67GHz Apple runs faster than my Windows XP 1.73GHz laptop due to the amount of 'stuffing' I have in Windows.

Fun things to get with your laptop:

1. Mighty mouse

2. Wireless keyboard

3. Airport extreme

4. Radtech optical screen protector

5. 3 year warranty

6. Mac.com account

7. Mac OS X - 'The missing manual' by David Pogue

I still ask noob questions about my Mac because I haven't got as far as opening David Pogue's book yet....
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Justin

Er, get one?

(Btw - what's the question?)

RTFP?

Quote:

Ok. I'm up to speed.

The battery won't last you the morning! Someone else told me that the battery lasts 5 hours - both of my new batteries only last 2-3 hours each, however that gets me through as much of the day as I want, sitting in front of a laptop.

Are you using AirPort/Bluetooth a lot? Processor intensive stuff? I know that battery ratings are always a little bit inflated, but that seems like very little life.

Quote:

The best way to carry them is http://www.radtech.us/

I quite like the indestructible hard shells but they really

are impractical. I tend to use a Powersleeve and neoprene case, in a dedicated rucksack bag since I go paddling - er..cycling in the rain.

So it's in the neoprene case, in that big backpacky Powersleeve (this, right?), inside a rucksack? Aah! Lots of protection!

Quote:

I don't think the prices are unreasonable (with educational discounts) - I got mine for a great deal with lots of freebies thrown in. Don't get put off by the slower sounding processor either: my 1.67GHz Apple runs faster than my Windows XP 1.73GHz laptop due to the amount of 'stuffing' I have in Windows.

Yeah... I've been using Macs for over a decade. I know about the soon-to-die MHz myth.

Quote:

Fun things to get with your laptop:

1. Mighty mouse

2. Wireless keyboard

3. Airport extreme

4. Radtech optical screen protector

5. 3 year warranty

6. Mac.com account

7. Mac OS X - 'The missing manual' by David Pogue

I still ask noob questions about my Mac because I haven't got as far as opening David Pogue's book yet....

Mouse, keyboard, AirPort- This isn't my first computer! I have what I need in that department, including (as said in the original post) an MX1000 with ten buttons vs Mighty's four.

Radtech optical screen protector - I couldn't find this product. You mean the fabric thing to go between the screen and keyboard? If so, it would be too much trouble for whipping the PB out in classes.

AppleCare (aka 3 year warranty) - I'm still unsure about this and wanted input. I'm not afraid to fix computers myself, but if the 'Book's especially hard to service or if they break themselves easily, it might be worth it.

.Mac- Nah.

Missing manual - don't need it.

Thanks, anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Anybody who buys the Apple keyboards or mice is a sucker in my humble opinion.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Anybody who buys the Apple keyboards or mice is a sucker in my humble opinion.

But...but....they're so pretty! *suck* *suck*

Quote:

Are you using AirPort/Bluetooth a lot? Processor intensive stuff? I know that battery ratings are always a little bit inflated, but that seems like very little life.

Photoshop...Dreamweaver...but mostly because I use a 17", the power drain is greater....

That's it - Powersleeve and the corresponding Radtech screen protector - it's just a cloth insert so it won't be hard to take off in lectures - this stuff is impregnated with the optical resin which protects the screen from the keys. You could get a keyboard cover, but that would be really inconvenient.

I've always found using a computer to take notes in lectures way to inferior to using my brain, but maybe that's just the way I work. If I need to copy copious volumes of notes, then clearly I'm already behind my lectures.

Quote:

Mouse, keyboard, AirPort- This isn't my first computer!

Yes....but this is no ordinary mouse. This is... Mighty Mouse!!

Mighty Mouse is so much better than any mouse I've used. It's my favourite mouse (and it's the right colour). The Apple keyboard haev a quality feel to the keys - I love the Classic wireless - better than any crappy Microsoft, Belkin, Advent, Compaq, HP, Dell keyboards I've used. I go through a lot and type 60 words/min as standard so it really makes a difference for me.

Anyone else who finger plods might as well get the cheapest nastiest keyboard available.]

I don't mind tampering with my PCs, although with an Apple, I wouldn't bother. My friends swear by the Apple Warranty, although they haven't used it either. I can imagine it would be a nightmare if something went wrong in 3 years time with a powerbook, but in this disposable society....

Good luck.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

17 is just ridiculous for mobile use.

My girlfriend's housemate carries around a 17" with her all the time. She doesn't seem to have a problem with it. (She doesn't have a car either; she uses subway/bus/taxi/walks/etc) The only downside for 'mobile use' would be the larger LCD eating more power, but if you want the larger screen size and don't need to rely on battery too often, then I would say go for it.

I, myself, have a 3+ year old 15" Powerbook. It still works fine, but the bottom case is bend and the battery won't stay in place. But if I had to get a new one, I would probably go for the 12" for portability.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

I've always found using a computer to take notes in lectures way to inferior to using my brain, but maybe that's just the way I work. If I need to copy copious volumes of notes, then clearly I'm already behind my lectures.

Sounds like we work the same way. I have two classes, which have too much raw facts to just remember, but in every other class I "us[e] my brain," as you put it.

There's just a lot of other work I could use the PB for in class.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

But...but....they're so pretty! *suck* *suck*

That, taken out of context, is hil-fucking-larious.