To Automator/Script/Terminal Gurus: bulk icon deletion?

rokrok
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
okay, folks, if anyone knows a Mac OS X bug to exploit for this purpose, or an Automator Action they can guide me through making, or know of a shareware app that'll do it or even a Terminal command, i'd appreciate it.

basically, we're trying to update our photo library into one spot, and many of our older stock photos have 32x32 icon previews still attached from the Classic days, so they look like ass at anything larger than 32x32. I am using Adobe Bridge to create previews and add metadata, but the larger previews only work inside Adobe Bridge. I would also like the option, under OS X, to simply open a directory and see 128x128 previews, too.

now, i could open each file's Get Info... on each file and click on the old OS9 icon, hit delete, and then OS X regenerates a new 128x128 icon. but i have THOUSANDS of image to do this to. and as they always say, if you find yourself doing the SAME thing the SAME way over and over, there has GOT to be a better way. I could open them all in Photoshop and resave, but that just seems heavy-handed to me, and could munge up the embedded color profiles... i mean, there has to be a legacy resource-fork i could just delete en masse without using Photoshop to crank through them all, dont'cha think?

Anyway, any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

rok

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I can possibly help with the actual coding, but I don't know (or remember) about OS 9 icons, or what is in the resource fork. If the icon is the only thing in the resource fork, then perhaps just deleting the whole fork would work. I think there are freeware apps to do that.

Are you saying that if you just delete the file's icon in Get Info that that takes care of it? Let me check out the AppleScript stuff for that.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    actually, i contacted iconfactory (i was wondering if pixadex could bulk-delete icons as easily as bulk-apply them), and Craig Hockenberry was kind enough to point me in the direction on Pinki, which does more than just strip the icon -- it'll actually replace the icon with an attached preview of the actual file (meaning the preview will also show up in list view, instead of just icon view).

only problem with it is that it's got a big ol' memory leak and will crash if you throw too many high-res images at it at once. but overall, it does the job.