Classic environment running (games) in OS X

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Question: Ill be getting a dual core 2.3 G5 here soon and am wondering about the classic environment and its capabilities of running some old os 9 and earlier games that I still have, smoothly. Does anyone know how it performs? For example I have quake 2 and tombraider 3 and the one that came after that one. Luckily the other two games I own are osx native

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    I think those games need hardware accleration. Classic environment doesn't allow you to do that on OSX.

I'm afraid if you really want to run those games you need to boot to OS9 or find OSX binaries.

I think ID software (the guys who made Quake2) may have released some OSX binaries. Or a 3rd party may have. Do a google search. I think I remembering reading someone porting Q2 to OSX.

If you have a decent vid card and have some money to spend, try Unreal Tournament 2004. It's fun game to play and should run decently on your machine.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Your new machine will not boot into OS 9 natively... only Classic, so you may be SOL.

Try them and see... software emulation on a Dual core G5 may be acceptable in terms of mimicking HW acceleration... only testing will show.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Here's quake 2 for X. Not sure about Tomb Raider. In general, my impression is that there's not much of a speed hit for running Classic vs. OS 9. But I can't say about the specific ones you mention.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Here's quake 2 for X. Not sure about Tomb Raider. In general, my impression is that there's not much of a speed hit for running Classic vs. OS 9. But I can't say about the specific ones you mention.

awesome thanks a lot man, I just have the two tombraider games to look into now, which I did email aspyr about. Hopefully they'll have some ports too
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I dloaded the quake plugin OSX app and it works, but with some small bugs. there are some problems in that I cant seem to get it to load a new normal game, it keeps loading up the capture the flag game for whatever reason. Plus I cant get it to use my 3 button mouse so I can use the control options to switch the fire button to my mouse...i emailed the programmers about it, hopefully they can help