Images Rotated? Or Not?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all, thanks in advance for your help.

I am having the following problem:

I take photos with my camera, and then upload them to my mac. I then edit the photo and in the process, ROTATE it. I kill preview or iPhoto) and save the image. This far it works, if I open it again in preview it remembers that I rotated the image, but...

1. when I upload the image to my blog, it IS NOT rotated!!, and

2. In icon preview mode the image also is not rotated!

So, how does one rotate photos on a mac and have them stay that way when uploaded, etc?

Thank!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zeeple

Hi all, thanks in advance for your help.

I am having the following problem:

I take photos with my camera, and then upload them to my mac. I then edit the photo and in the process, ROTATE it. I kill preview or iPhoto) and save the image. This far it works, if I open it again in preview it remembers that I rotated the image, but...

1. when I upload the image to my blog, it IS NOT rotated!!, and

2. In icon preview mode the image also is not rotated!

So, how does one rotate photos on a mac and have them stay that way when uploaded, etc?

Thank!!

Some apps prefer a particular orientation and will automatically rotate your images to achieve it. BTW, what do you mean by "I kill preview or iPhoto) and save the image."?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Well, what I mean is that Apple+Q to quit preview, and then the program, before quitting, prompts me to save changes to the images that were open in it.

Seems to me posting images to the web, the images should retain the orientation they were saved in, right? Why would the web, or blogger, or photobucket care about orientation?

It seems like it is a problem with the mac's ability to save an image after it has been rotated...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    possibly...

iPhoto does not alter the origional image.... it makes a copy of it with any alterations you make (and saves the origional photo for "reversion".)

If you drag and drop the thumbnail from iPhoto, it should transfer the altered version of the photo...

If you go to the finder and find the copy of the photo you downloaded from your camera, then put THAT file onto your website, you will get the UNaltered photo.

hopefully that made sense
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Really? That's odd because when I upload the photo it remembers all the alterations except for orientation. And I cannot really 'navigate' to the image within iPhoto when trying to use blogger's upload feature.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Just drag the photo out of iPhoto onto the desktop, and then upload it from there. After you have uploaded the photo, you can delete the copy on your desktop.

The act of dragging a photo out of iPhoto is akin to exporting it with all the changes you have applied. Who knows what state the photo is in when you are manually taking it out of the iPhoto library through the finder.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    That did the trick.Thanks for the tip! I will use iPhoto from now on I cannot believe I was ever using the finder/preview combo in the first place!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Good, I'm glad that worked for you.

Depending on your computing backgroud, giving up control to iPhoto or iTunes can sometimes be hard. People get used to setting up a folder hierarchy and maintaining all the files themselves. To leave the organization to another program like iPhoto is difficult. However just think of iPhoto as a Finder only for your pictures. For that it kicks the normal Finder's butt. It's so much easier to find a picture by looking at them as opposed to searching through names like DSC00456. To import you just drop photos on to iPhoto, and to export you just drag them out. Pretty slick.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I know what you mean. My computing background is quite varied and I work in IT for living, mostly doing linux stuff. I am very comfortable with the command line and dir structures etc. Keeping files anywhere that I cannot readily navigate to via a command line bothers me. Of course I am sure iPhoto has a repositry somewhere on the hard drive just like iTunes does. Just a matter of poking around some...

Thanks again.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    It seems you found a good workaround, but I thought I'd post this anyway.

The first response on http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...51021212042321 explains why you're seeing this behavior:

Quote:

There is a logic behind this behaviour. When you only rotate a picture using iphoto, the program adds this info to the EXIF comments instead of altering and resaving the file, as this would result in jpeg degradation. When other EXIF capable program opens the file (as preview.app) it interprets the info and rotates the picture acordingly.

Obviously iMovie HD does not interpret EXIF comments.