I killed a G3 and now I have a story to tell

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a beige G3 desktop 300mhz (overclocked to 333) sitting around unused for a while, along with a 400 iMac DV. I set up the iMac and it's working just fine, I figured I"d have it set up just as general use machine, internet, e-mail, ect. Then I was going to have my G3 set up as a legacy machine running OS9 so I can play all the silly games that came with the old performa.

I'd been struggling to get OSX.3 on (the beige) in the past, 10.1 worked just fine. I got 10.3 to install but when it boots up it's just command line, no GUI or anything. I can log in, but don't know any of the commands to do anything. So I decide to just put 10.1 back on there, get it working again, but the HD won't let it install unless I reformated. I didn't want to reformat because there was some recording sessions stored on there that I recovered off a SCSII external that went bad. All of the SCSII drives were too small to put the files back onto so I could format.

I put in a 13gb drive originally from the iMac, figure I'll boot up off an OS9 cd and copy them over, then reformat and install. After putting in the second drive, the computer didn't want to boot up anymore. So I unplugged the original drive to see if it would boot and I could just instal on the new disk... still didn't boot. Put it back to the way it was without the second hard drive- nothing. I don't know what would have killed it... except maybe I was being a bit rought trying to get the case back together... cause it just really doesn't fit together anymore. It powers up, things are spinning... but the monitor never clicks on or receives a signal.

So I'm a bit saddened, I don't know what to do. I would take out the drives and use firewire to copy/format/install but I seem to have lent all my firewire cables out and the USB2/Firewire cause I had is with my brother many states away.

I was intending also on using this (and the iMac) for scanning things, some light photoshop work and displaying images for when I'm painting. I figure I can just use the iMac as my "legacy" machine. I don't need the loud SCSII drives anyways, other than for the fact that they are there and I feel like they should be used just because. I however, really feel like getting something else now... another used system of some sort, but what would I use it for? I have a 2ghz iMac G5 which I use for recording live concerts and "studio" stuff with Logic.

There really is no point to this other than if someone knows what's wrong with the beige machine. Also if anyone needs or wants any old computers/parts... I really need to get rid of some stuff. I've literally got piles of them that I'll never be able to use or have the space for, but won't throw away. I just wanted a fun little system to play around with...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    revision 1 Beige machines had problems with large drives. I would reset the PRAM (command option PR I think) and the machine should reboot twice.

You may also have to re-select your system folder.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

revision 1 Beige machines had problems with large drives. I would reset the PRAM (command option PR I think) and the machine should reboot twice.

You may also have to re-select your system folder.

I swear I tried that yesterday... maybe I had one of the keys wrong. It boots up now again, but only to OSX which is only the terminal, which I can't do anything with. It starts out booting into OS9 (shows the classic mac icon and grey background) and then restarts and comes up with OSX.

I remember in the past somehow getting a mac to boot up and select a boot disc icon... was there a key command for that?

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 6
    a quick google and this:

http://davespicks.com/writing/programming/mackeys.html

very well documented list of key commands
  • Reply 4 of 6
    set up a website, blow up your G3 beige LIVE on the internet and recover some money via google adwords
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I see this all the time if you don't have a backup then you can't afford to play with the OS like that it's just asking for trouble.Please make backups.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

set up a website, blow up your G3 beige LIVE on the internet and recover some money via google adwords

good idea.

though I got it working now, for a while. Installed 10.2.8 on the hard drive from another computer using firewire, put it back i nthe G3 and it worked. However... then I put a 13gig I had laying around in there too, for more storeage space, when I did that it wouldn't boot up. Check jumper settings, even unplugged it and it kept not finding a boot disk. So I took the OSX disk back out and put it in the firewire case again...

and it doubled it's size. As long as I've had it, it's ALWAYS been a 6gb. Disc utility now says it's 12, and has nothing on it. I'm so confused.