legitimacy of "Free" Mac Mini offers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.lowendmac.com is one of my favorite websites, and yesterday they ran this article "Yes, You Can Get a 'Free' Mac mini - but Is It Worth the Hassles? "

I thought it was very interesting--the guy went through all the hassles of getting a 'free' mac mini and ended up getting one for about $70 and 5.5 hours worth of hassles. Things went smoothly for him, although i know getting involved in some of this stuff can be dangerous for credit and follow you around a bit, but I'm curious if anyone has actually tried it. Speaking for myself, I still stay away

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

http://www.lowendmac.com is one of my favorite websites, and yesterday they ran this article "Yes, You Can Get a 'Free' Mac mini - but Is It Worth the Hassles? "

I thought it was very interesting--the guy went through all the hassles of getting a 'free' mac mini and ended up getting one for about $70 and 5.5 hours worth of hassles. Things went smoothly for him, although i know getting involved in some of this stuff can be dangerous for credit and follow you around a bit, but I'm curious if anyone has actually tried it. Speaking for myself, I still stay away

No, I haven't actually tried this. The reason for my reply is, remember TANSTAAFL? It has been proven true time and again over the years, and has never been more so than it is today \. BTW, "TANSTAAFL" = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I don't really see how it would affect your credit. But if you decide to be lazy about the "hassle" part of it, which they definitely are counting on, then you could end up paying quite a bit more than 70 dollars.

I'm pretty sure that it is legitimate, I've heard of people doing that. Not directly, but friend of a friend like. Personally, I don't really think it's worth it. I just don't want to spend 5 hours arguing with people to cancel all those magazine subscriptions and trials or whatever.