Old iMac... good price???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello! Our three year old son is turning into a Mac freak... so much so that he is hogging it and wants to use the computer whenever we do... so... we were thinking about getting him an old iMac.

Someone offered me a Bondi Blue iMac (I think 99?) ... it is updated to 96 RAM and they also put OS X on it...

Price- $75.00

I got them down to this from $125...

What do you think????

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    $75 is nothing. So go buy it. But my guess is you can get it for free if you look hard enough.

Then you have two options. Buy a 256 mb stick or downgrade to 9 (I would personally prefer the latter). X is NOT going to be happy with anything less than 256 and will not start to smile before reaching 512. And it will take up a large portion of the original HD.

If you want to use the computer for anything else than the surfing, email and Calculator upgrade the HD when you install the ram and be prepared to panic a couple of times while installing anything new on it. The original iMac is far from the most service-friendly computer out there...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Okay, thanks... well if you have any idea where I can find the best prices on a memory stick... that would be a big help!

He is just using the internet... PBSKIDS.org...ya know!

Thanks!!!

*D*

Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

$75 is nothing. So go buy it. But my guess is you can get it for free if you look hard enough.

Then you have two options. Buy a 256 mb stick or downgrade to 9 (I would personally prefer the latter). X is NOT going to be happy with anything less than 256 and will not start to smile before reaching 512. And it will take up a large portion of the original HD.

If you want to use the computer for anything else than the surfing, email and Calculator upgrade the HD when you install the ram and be prepared to panic a couple of times while installing anything new on it. The original iMac is far from the most service-friendly computer out there...

• Reply 3 of 6
    www.newegg.com has yet to fail me.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Even at my ripe old age of 16 I wish I had access to the internet at the age of 3. I had my old Windows 3.1 machine with some drawing and educational programs and I thought that was great. To have the internet at that age really is great.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Yeah, I think it is really great too. My dad worked in computers so I was lucky enough to have all the very first Apples... but, yeah, I thought "MacDraw" and "Frogger" were so amazing...

Then when I was twelve, the very beginnings of the internet were pretty fascinating...

But for him to have the whole world literally at his fingertips at such a young age... it's wonderful and it makes me wonder what to come will fascinate HIM during his lifetime...

*D*

Quote:

Originally posted by john.outwater

Even at my ripe old age of 16 I wish I had access to the internet at the age of 3. I had my old Windows 3.1 machine with some drawing and educational programs and I thought that was great. To have the internet at that age really is great.

• Reply 6 of 6
    You're sixteen, so you're 9 years behind me... I think it's pretty fascinating that you were able to take advantage of the internet during your general education.... I know it makes college/grad school a lot more interesting... I often wonder how things would have been different if I had the internet during middle school and high school...gosh, even elementary!

Quote:

Originally posted by daniken

Yeah, I think it is really great too. My dad worked in computers so I was lucky enough to have all the very first Apples... but, yeah, I thought "MacDraw" and "Frogger" were so amazing...

Then when I was twelve, the very beginnings of the internet were pretty fascinating...

But for him to have the whole world literally at his fingertips at such a young age... it's wonderful and it makes me wonder what to come will fascinate HIM during his lifetime...

*D*