i or Power?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
AppleInsider recently announced that new Intel PowerBooks could be arriving as early as Macworld, but that the updated iBook line wouldn't until later.

ThinkSecret, however, says the opposite - iBooks at MacWorld, PowerBooks later.

So if we are going to see new Mactops in January, which line will it be? iBooks, PowerBooks, both, or neither?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    A yonah ibook could out perform a G4 Powerbook, so my guess is both or neither.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I agree with Blackcat.

If Apple only release the iBook, will it most likely be able to outperform the G4 PowerBook, and if that's the case, the sale of G4 PowerBook would drop dramatically and in worst case scenario - maybe come really close to a stop.

So my guess is either:

1. PowerBook

2. PowerBook and iBook

3. Mini ?

4. Or neither

But time will show.

*-_-*

BTW, it's like this every year. Ever since I started using Apple, I've been looking more forward to MacWorld than I have to Christmas .. Which in my mind, is rather sad.

I personally think that Christmas should be rescheduled
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I think they are going to consolidate them both into one notebook line. Trust me!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Skills

I think they are going to consolidate them both into one notebook line. Trust me!

That is an interesting proposition. Certainly possible. But, I think that branding has a lot to do with it, and its easier for them to sell a more expensive POWERbook with large screen and silver professional casing over a less expensive ibook with the more trend plastic casing. But the differences are certainly more than skin deep, like speed, hard drive, optical drive, display, etc
  • Reply 5 of 20
    The Mac mini will get updated so it too can have Front Row and a remote like the new iMac has. I think the iBooks will get the Yonah in January and the PowerBooks will stay G4 until the Merom (64-bit) cpu is ready. Even if the iBooks outperformed the PowerBooks I do not see Apple putting anything but a 64-bit cpu in the PowerBooks, since that is what would have happened if a G5 was able to be put in the PowerBook. Whatever PowerBook sales are "lost" due to iBooks performing better will be made up when they get upgraded with an Intel cpu.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

The Mac mini will get updated so it too can have Front Row and a remote like the new iMac has. I think the iBooks will get the Yonah in January and the PowerBooks will stay G4 until the Merom (64-bit) cpu is ready. Even if the iBooks outperformed the PowerBooks I do not see Apple putting anything but a 64-bit cpu in the PowerBooks, since that is what would have happened if a G5 was able to be put in the PowerBook. Whatever PowerBook sales are "lost" due to iBooks performing better will be made up when they get upgraded with an Intel cpu.

I would LOVE to believe this line of reasoning, but too many times have I seen Apple gimp one machine so as to not create overlap with another.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I have often seen "Front Row + Mac Mini", but never "Front Row + iBook or Powerbook". Why is this? It makes perfect sense considering:

1) College students are the main consumer market of laptops; and college students would certainly use Front Row and be further convinced to buy a Mac if it came with front row.

2) Laptops have the MOST portability.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    I must admit myself, I love the iBook series way more than I do the powerbook series, I think they are nice, but there is just something about that Apple white that I love and I also love the plastic becasue it does not scratch that easily at all.

Until I read this forum, I did not realize that Apple was planing on releasing a iBook 13 inch widesreen with an intel chipset. This kind of upsets me because I jsut got my iBook like 4 months ago and now I am going to want on of those. Well I might just have to get another one. 8)

I agree that front row should also be on iBooks and Powerbooks, but I think that a superdrive should be available in the 12 inch and or 13 inch widescreen models of the iBook, I have seriously thought about voiding my warrenty on my iBook and upgrading the hard drive and upgrading the my drive to a superdrive.

-iGrant
  • Reply 9 of 20
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    There are no insiders on Appleinsider...

Logic dictates that Apple cannot launch machines that are inferior to current offerings. Lets assume that x86 iBooks are a done deal, then since there is so little difference between an iBook and a Powerbook a better performing x86 iBook would run the risk of out performing a G4 PB. So I would discount iBook being introduced first, unless Adobe, Quark etc etc just are not ready and that these application on a PB under Rossetta is a worse performer than current PB G4's.

So, are Quark and Adobe ready, IMO no. Then I would conclude that we wold get both PB and iBooks at almost the same time i.e. within 6 weeks of each other, probably with some G4 models remaining in the range.

It's the software that will determine the timing of the switch I am sure of that. There are enough laptop processors out there for Apple to make the hardware switch now, and if Ibooks are going to be released it means that OSX is ready. Without professional software being transcoded for x86's Apple cannot move away from the PowerPC.

This transition is going to either make or break Quark, they were so slow to move to OSX and lost huge numbers of customers as a result including the Guardian, now they are faced with this at a time when they were getting ready to launch V7. Frankly I hope that the do it before Adobe have Indesign ready, however if I was Adobe... I would put all my resources into Indesign rather than Photoshop, Photoshop can wait there is no alternative, but Indesign is a battle Adobe wants to win. With Macromedia now under it's control Quark is the last really big scalp in it's sights.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    The bulk of the large scale publishing market will wait for 12-18 months (after the hardware/software release) before a transition to the next version of Quark or InDesign. Their buisness relies too much on their hardware and software working predictably and within their workflow for a fast transition. Quark 4.11 is still being used as we speak. Not to mention that the transition will be a BIG expense for them. Sure ad agencies designers will switch sooner, which will push the prepress industry to adopt the new hardware and software,. However companies like Harcourt and Glencoe will be slow to adopt the new softwre, which will keep the developers that contract with them on older versions of the software. Other publishing industries like Magazines and Newspapers who are more dependent on automated workflow's will also be slow to switch becouse of the expense and time required to rework their workflow to the new software. Apple needs to keep this industry in mind when they make the transition, but it makes more sense for them to make the transition in another market segment to get things moving than to wait for Adobe and Quark to finalize their software before making the transition. They didn't wait for them to release OS X and they won't for the new Intel hardware.

As for Adobe's efforts, I think that (with the above in mind) PhotoShop will be more important for Adobe to get to market than InDesign. PhotoShop is a more device/workflow independant application than InDesing and Quark are and is being used by Designers, Illustrators and Photographers. Also, if they are too slow to transition Apple is waiting in the wings with Apature. Apple is going to have to add features to the programs anyway and if Adobe doesn't do it then Apple has shown in the past where a void exists they will fill it. It will be easier for Apple to add PS like features that will make Apature compete with PS more than it would be for them to think up new features that keep it from competing with PS while at the same time adding enough value to the new version to make it worth the price of an upgrade.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

There are no insiders on Appleinsider...

Sure there are, but they never say anything useful because they are under NDA.

But you'll have to excuse me; I have to get back to making plastics...
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Today's Hardmac has an ad from one of the French resellers listing the iBook as EOL. Might be a good indication of things to come.

I personally don't see the iBook moving to Mactel before the PB. Both at the same time? Sure, that works.

To me the PB cannot just be equal to the iBook. It's the premier notebook for Apple and won't take second place, even for a few months. While some of the pro apps might not be Mactel ready in January (read MS & Adobe) they will be ready for the PMs when the PMs make the change. Pros will either stay with what they have for a few months or (if reports show it is worth it) they will move to Mactels and wait for the software upgrades.

Not every buyer of a PB is a pro, however. I have one for business travel (tied to a 23" display in the office) and there are a lot of us "non-pros" who are PB buyers. I upgraded from a 667 15" to a 1.5 15" when the 1.5 was announced so I don't see buying another PB for a little while. If I was using anything in the 1.0 range or lower I WOULD be looking at a Mactel PB very hard and would WAIT until it was available before upgrading. Actually, I would wait for a few user posts on the rev a before buying, but I would not consider a PPC PB - even if Steve J didn't announce the Mactel PB in the MWSF Keynote.

My bet is both will be announced. The dual chip will help sell both and there is enough range in speed for Apple to move with both. The iMac will probably wait until the second half of 2006 and I see no reason for the mini to wait if the iBook is announced.

Lots of good stuff coming - it will be interesting to see how much Steve J can squeeze into the Keynote.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    The powerbook was always the first to move to new processors. (G3, G4)

The main reason invoqued by apple for the switch to intel is the non existing powerbook G5. And now they would just say :

"hey, here is the new ibook on intel. Powerbook? they don't need to switch yet!"

no way! it will be powerbook OR powerbook+ibook, but not ibook alone!
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Now Rosetta does Altivec perhaps lack of x86 pro apps isn't an issue - a dual core 1.8GHz Yonah could perhaps throw a whole core at it. Plus, there's no reason to think all the Apple apps aren't already Universal Binaries, after all, OS X has been on x86 since v10.0.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Now Rosetta does Altivec perhaps lack of x86 pro apps isn't an issue - a dual core 1.8GHz Yonah could perhaps throw a whole core at it. Plus, there's no reason to think all the Apple apps aren't already Universal Binaries, after all, OS X has been on x86 since v10.0.

I'm sure that all of Apples applications do have universal bionaries, but that doesn't mean that Apple will be ready for launch with new versions, fully tested and Golden Master, of all their applications. My guess would be that the Pro-apps will wait so that Apple can have a larger base of users for testing on actual production hardware to shake out the bugs from the pro software. Then there is also a great benefit in releasing products over a longer period of time so the you can keep your name in the press, getting all that "FREE advertising".
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by belzebuth

The powerbook was always the first to move to new processors. (G3, G4)

The main reason invoqued by apple for the switch to intel is the non existing powerbook G5. And now they would just say :

"hey, here is the new ibook on intel. Powerbook? they don't need to switch yet!"

no way! it will be powerbook OR powerbook+ibook, but not ibook alone!

i tell you something. i think, as some others do, that apple will move their laptops to one product-line. with yonah delivering great speed improvements they could sell 4 models: 11", 13", 15", 17" - all widescreen
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by saschke

i tell you something. i think, as some others do, that apple will move their laptops to one product-line. with yonah delivering great speed improvements they could sell 4 models: 11", 13", 15", 17" - all widescreen

I like that idea, call them Mac book or something, like the Mac mini doesn't have an i or Power beginning...

The iBook is treading on the 12" PowerBook so much it hurts. Let them be one. However, I still want PowerBook specs, so moving to one line would solve a lot of issues regarding the 12"ers being so similar and not put off people (like me) who want Power models.

I hope the cooling of these new processors allow a 13" to have the same processor as a 17". Even nicer would be the same set of features, I'd love to be able to run a 30" display with it!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Just a guess but here's what I'm thinking. Apple maintains the divide between consumer 'Books and pro 'Books. Two models of each. A 12" and a 13.3" iBook; and a 15.2 or 15.4" PB and 17" PB. All models have dual core Yonah CPUs. Both lines could be announced at MW but with different ship dates. The faster CPUs for the PBs will be out a bit later than the slower 1.5 and 1.66 GHz CPUs for the iBooks. I'm not sure the names will remain but they could.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by saschke

Very interesting idea. I am inclined to think that this could be one of those times that Apple would do such a thing. But, the Yonah is a 32 bit cpu. So while Apple could do this, and it would not cut the PowerBook down, I still think that there will come a time again, when Merom comes round, that the PowerBook will once again take its premier place. Then the iBook, or Book, can be as snappy as it can be, for the PowerBook will have the gloves and the belt of power, so to speak. This joint line would not hurt the PowerBook, the bigger models should have FireWire, and all the goodies requisite with the PB. But later on there will come a distinction once again.

Well, it is all speculation, I just think that those folks who started this line have a good idea.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Sure there are, but they never say anything useful because they are under NDA.

But you'll have to excuse me; I have to get back to making plastics...

Hmmmm....'making plastics'.....?

Ah, that brings back memories from the rich history of Apple-related rumors!