New Mac User need advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I never owned a Mac, only desktop PC's, but I'm used to work on photoshop on Mac.

This Xmas I have to travel a couple of weeks and have a lot of photoediting to do, simple dust & scratches removal from scans, so color management can wait for desktop

work.

I chose to buy a portable because it has to be lightweigt for travel ;

A powerbook because i want to go mac Now. Apple knows better than MS what pros in CG want.

My two questions are:

1) The powerbook comes with 512mb of ram, Can I upgrade it to 1.5 Gb, buying an extra 1GB module

DDR2 PC4300 or must the two modules be of same size ?

2) All the picture files i have to edit are on a 250Gb external HD, USB2 Conected and NTFS formated.

Will I be able to read the files on the NTFS disk with system OS X v10.4 Tiger ?

Thanks for any info & advice given,

Nicolas

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    1.5GB should be OK through one user-accessible slot. The DDR2 macs don't do pairing.

I think NTFS support is a bit flaky, though. I think it's good enough, though, that you could at least copy the files to the internal HD and work on them from there.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    You can read NTFS files, but you can't write to the drive. Copying them to your Mac should not be a problem.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks all for the clear answears,

I'll get the powerbook tomorow.

I Hope I don't look like a fool mid january, if the new one comes out.

I'm just not in a position to wait.

Thanks

Nicolas
  • Reply 4 of 4
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nolly

Thanks all for the clear answears,

I'll get the powerbook tomorow.

I Hope I don't look like a fool mid january, if the new one comes out.

I'm just not in a position to wait.

Thanks

Nicolas

you can never go wrong if you buy the tools you need and can afford when you need them.