Lack of 10.5 news? :(

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why? They should hopefully be very active developing it right now. Its the version that has to compete head to head with the next generation Windows OS so it better be good...

Is there ANYTHING out there about 10.5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    We will probably not hear a thing before WWDC.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Why? They should hopefully be very active developing it right now. Its the version that has to compete head to head with the next generation Windows OS so it better be good...

I think that is probably why we haven't heard squat, they don't want Microsoft to know anything about it.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    My theory is that Tiger was designed to be a big flaming pile of crap, with horrible UI inconsistencies, beachballing, low-information density, and more. Now look at Vista, they're copying everything directly from Tiger, and somehow Microsoft is still failing. This is why there is no news on 10.5, which is coming out around the same time as Vista, because then Apple will have just released the most amazing operating system since System 6 and Microsoft will have just released a knock off of a flaming pile of crap.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

My theory is that Tiger was designed to be a big flaming pile of crap, with horrible UI inconsistencies, beachballing, low-information density, and more. Now look at Vista, they're copying everything directly from Tiger, and somehow Microsoft is still failing. This is why there is no news on 10.5, which is coming out around the same time as Vista, because then Apple will have just released the most amazing operating system since System 6 and Microsoft will have just released a knock off of a flaming pile of crap.

Interesting theory.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Do not feed the trolls
  • Reply 6 of 47
    akheron01

Is being a bit hyperbolic but I don't think he's trolling. I think OS X 10.5 will be more consistent on the UI front and that performance will improve. The optimizations should be nice as well. Typically Apple will announce a bunch of new features and then optimize like heck the next go round with a sprinkle of new stuff.

Jaguar- the big feature release.

Panther- the optimizations with some new stuff added in.

Tiger- The big feature release

Leopard- the optimizations with some new stuff added in.

It's all going according to plan. I don't expect that many changes to Leopard other than syncing everything (Java, OGL etc) up and replacing the finder with something that doesn't elicit the "FTFF" from Apple fans. Display performance should improve as well as a nod toward rez independence and Quartz 2D Extreme.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

akheron01

Is being a bit hyperbolic

That's me
  • Reply 8 of 47
    yoseyose Posts: 62member
    Quote:

"FTFF"

F*** the F***ing Finder?
  • Reply 9 of 47
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yose

F*** the F***ing Finder?

close. "Fix the Fscking Finder"
  • Reply 10 of 47
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

I think OS X 10.5 will be more consistent on the UI front and that performance will improve.

you mean they actually took my advice and locked all of the development teams' GUI-designers in a room and threatened grisly deaths that wouldn't even make it into Saw III unless they decided on some sort of consistency across the board?

dude, i would turn cartwheels.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    I'd personaly like to see a area in the system preferences where you can veiw a list of all of your applications and choose which ones to remove right from there.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Quote:

threatened grisly deaths that wouldn't even make it into Saw III

• Reply 13 of 47
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

I'd personaly like to see a area in the system preferences where you can veiw a list of all of your applications and choose which ones to remove right from there.

Would you like an Uninstaller Wizard to go with that?

Just kidding I suppose it would be a nice option.

All I want is Hibernate in 10.5. Seriously...it's waaaaaaay overdue. Are any other Mac laptop people with me on this?!
  • Reply 14 of 47
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

All I want is Hibernate in 10.5. Seriously...it's waaaaaaay overdue. Are any other Mac laptop people with me on this?!

The most recent PowerBooks already have Safe Sleep.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Would you like an Uninstaller Wizard to go with that?

Just kidding I suppose it would be a nice option.

But you know that the second Apple puts hibernation in MS fans are going to be like, "WHOS THE BITCH NOWWW!"
  • Reply 16 of 47
    The reason there is no talk of Leopard is because it is taking a back seat to "Intel inside". We will have a month or two of intense discussions about the new/improved/lack of apps/hardware after Steve's keynote address before Leopard starts getting a bunch of threads.

As far as what will be new in Leopard I think Finder is at the top of the list mainly because of Spotlight, but I have to agree with hmurchison that Leopard will be more of a "tune up" because of the transition (Intel and dual-core processors).

Since Leopard will concentrate on improvements I think Spotlight will get the most work because there is a lot that can be done to make it better such as:

1 - Search networks

2 - static/saved indexes of removeable drives and disks

3 - finer control of indexing

4 - Informative messages

5 - literal string, wildcard, and boolean operators
  • Reply 17 of 47
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Yeah, I think it's all of the above:
    • Apple is going to be very busy with the transition for several months more. Marketing hype, a new breed of bugs, customers' pressure for more UB apps will keep them fixing what was supposed to work according to RDF broadcasting.

• Apple is not going to show much of 10.5 until Vista development reaches the point of no return.

• Mac OS team does not actually have much to talk about right now. They are fixing bugs, business as usual. New technologies take time both to develop and adopt. Bright ideas don't come every day. The GUI people at Apple must be particularly bored, judging from the current state of HIG. Perhaps, Apple will want to heavily invest in anti-depressants in order to make a couple of guys pull their heads out of their asses. Perhaps, Steve is perusing MacUpdate.com in search of 200+ new features of 10.5.

In fact, we know at least one feature planned for 10.5, resolution independence. Anything else that we could accept as fact, anyone?
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Well, this isn't fact, but it's only logical that iChat wil get photo support.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    What I've been wondering about 10.5 is wether or not the resolution independence will be integrated into the full screen zoom. I'd love to be able to press command-option-+ to get some more detail on what I'm looking at
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

What I've been wondering about 10.5 is wether or not the resolution independence will be integrated into the full screen zoom. I'd love to be able to press command-option-+ to get some more detail on what I'm looking at

Haha -- would if apple did "Loop" like in aperture in the finder.