Hard drive crashed -- how do I transfer from iPod to new drive?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My girlfriend's PC crashed, and she had to reformat her hard drive, thus erasing all of her music. It's on her iPod -- but my understanding is that if I plug her iPod into her computer with the new drive, it'll erase all her music (some of which she no longer has on CD). Any way to copy the music from the iPod back to her computer? What should she do? Thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    A simple data recovery utility can get the data off your iPod. If it were mac formatted, I would point you to HERE but perhaps there is something like that for PC.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    http://thelittleappfactory.com/

this is what i use. Its great because u can take music from your friends iPod and put it on to your iTunes library. Not that I do...because its illegal lol
  • Reply 3 of 9
    P.S. Tell your gf to get a mac instead. She'll never have to worry about this problem again:-)
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Heh. Though it may be easier to use and pretty darn stable, I've had to reformat my mac as frequently if not more than my PC. Admittedly, I don't use the PC nearly as much.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Its great because u can take music from your friends iPod and put it on to your iTunes library. Not that I do...because its illegal

Not if your friend decides to use your computer's harddrive to store the back-up copy of his iPOD music.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ok so there's ipod rip and ipod disk

are these the ebst apps to get music from ipod onto comp?

thanks
  • Reply 7 of 9
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Well, I had this same thing happen--on a Mac--and Senuti came the closest to restoring my library from my iPod. Unfortunately, Date Added was reset to the date of the restore, but play counts and ratings were there, at least.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Senuti rocks my socks off.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ended up using ipodfolder (Windows)

seems to work ok. its pretty basic but does the trick.