Backing up itunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is there a good way to easily back up my itunes library so that if my computer crashes or anything happens, i don't lose all of my songs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    try iBackup. Not only does it allow you to backup the iTunes folder, but also pictures, system preferences and documents. Its a free program.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    While we are at it, what is recommended for Windows iTunes libraries?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

While we are at it, what is recommended for Windows iTunes libraries?

When I was on a WinXP PC, I backed up to an external Western Digital USB drive. It came with a nice utility for creating backups of specific folders on the computer. I would look for something like that.

There is probably a good free/shareware backup program available. Check out www.download.com and see what turns up.

edit: I found this one called Version Backup that the CNet editors seem to like. It makes daily backups. Maybe it would be a good choice for the iTunes User who adds new music on a regular basis.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Ok guys. Let's calm down...and focus:

Just copy the entire folder called "iTunes"

For PC this folder is located in: My Documents > My Music >

For Mac this folder is located in: Users > [Your User Name] > Music

This ONLY works if you have your iTunes music library consolidated.

To consolidate your music library:

Go to the menu "Advanced" > Consolidate Library...

This puts all your music into the iTunes folder.

The iTunes folder also contains your library database, so when you want to restore, you just click and drag the folder you backedup into its original location. All of your playlists and raitings should be preserved.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Ok guys. Let's calm down...and focus:

Just copy the entire folder called "iTunes"

For PC this folder is located in: My Documents > My Music >

For Mac this folder is located in: Users > [Your User Name] > Music

This ONLY works if you have your iTunes music library consolidated.

To consolidate your music library:

Go to the menu "Advanced" > Consolidate Library...

This puts all your music into the iTunes folder.

The iTunes folder also contains your library database, so when you want to restore, you just click and drag the folder you backedup into its original location. All of your playlists and raitings should be preserved.

That is what i have always done but, i was just wondering, say you moved it to a new user, what would happen? I think the library has the paths. Would it figure it out if there is a new user name becuase the music will no longer be in the same path?

Thanks
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

That is what i have always done but, i was just wondering, say you moved it to a new user, what would happen? I think the library has the paths. Would it figure it out if there is a new user name becuase the music will no longer be in the same path?

Thanks

I've never had this problem but in this case I suppose you would just have to notify it where one song is and it will find the rest by adjusting the appropriate paths.