Is it possible to encode a lossless mp3 file?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I realize that mp3s are a lossy compression format, but is it POSSIBLE to encode an mp3 without losing anything (disregarding all worries about filesize)? For example, could you up the bitrate so high that you don't lose anything?

Thanks! Just curious =)

Phil

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    No.

The highest bit-rate you can encode audio with the MP3 codec is 320kb/s and this is definitely lossy, although I'd doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between that and the original.

For example, most lossless codecs can only achieve a ~50% reduction in filesize which is normally around 600kb/s. (The bitrate for an audio CD is 1150kb/s AFAIK.)

Use one of the many lossless codecs such as Apple Lossless, FLAC, APE etc.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by keot

which is normally around 600kb/s. (The bitrate for an audio CD is 1150kb/s AFAIK.)

Actually, it is 1440 Kbps for an audio CD.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

Actually, it is 1440 Kbps for an audio CD.

Actually, 1411.2.

AllOfMP3.com stores much of its music in a non-standard 384 kbps "freeform MP3". They expect most users to buy at a lower bit rate and transcode to that lower rate before downloading, but you can download the full 384 kbps MP3 files -- a few MP3 players and some software will understand that format.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Actually, 1411.2.

I knew it was closer to the 1440 level than the 1100 level. Thanks for the clarification.