Will PowerMacTels have PCI?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have a couple of special PCI cards I'd like to keep. Since PCIe isn't backward compatible with PCI, what are the chances the PowerMacTels will have at least one or two PCI slots as well? Or would that complicate the motherboard design by needing more space and more support chips?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    The chances are quite slim.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kolchak

I have a couple of special PCI cards I'd like to keep. Since PCIe isn't backward compatible with PCI, what are the chances the PowerMacTels will have at least one or two PCI slots as well? Or would that complicate the motherboard design by needing more space and more support chips?

It could be done, but seeings as how the current PMacs are PCIe only, I would say you are SOL. Keep an old machine to host those cards.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    PCI-e replaced AGP, not PCI/PCI-X.

An older AGP graphics card will not work in a PCI-e computer.

All your PCI and PCI-X cards will work for quite some time, because they have absolutely nothing to do with PCI-e.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

All your PCI and PCI-X cards will work for quite some time, because they have absolutely nothing to do with PCI-e.

Uhhh.... how can I say this? Wrong.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

It replaces both. It is faster than both PCI-X and AGP, and unlike AGP, its bandwidth is not asynchronous.

Quote:

Correct.

Quote:

Wrong on two counts. Current-generation PowerMacs don't have a PCI or PCI-X ports any more, only PCIe.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Wrong on two counts. Current-generation PowerMacs don't have a PCI or PCI-X ports any more, only PCIe.

Oh, oops. Sorry.

Is PCIe backwards compatible with PCI/PCI-X, though?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Oh, oops. Sorry.

Nope.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Oh, oops. Sorry.

Heh the shortest answer i've seen from programmer ever. PCI and PCI-Express are different pins / layouts. PCI-Express requires much more power, so they had to redesign the way power was given to these slots... unfortunately it meant scrapping the backwards compatibility. I also believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but there are more pipes for PCI-Express and it communicates directly with the Northbridge as opposed to PCI with the southbridge.... si?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    PCI? Do a search using the last 18 months for relevance. This discussion has been talked to death, put to pasture, and laid to rest in every forum on the net.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Heh... will they have serial and ps2 connections too!?

OH OH how about a game port!?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Heh... will they have serial and ps2 connections too!?

OH OH how about a game port!?

Or one of those little things you tap repeatedly to send Morris code.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I hear they are going to introduce tech. like ADB and NuBus expansion slots in the next gen IntelPMacs too! It's going to be great!