New Mac Mini and Software Update

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey all,

Bought a new Mac Mini for my Grandparents the other day and was setting it up. Everything runs well ... EXCEPT software update. The mini came with 10.4.2 installed and will obviously need at least the OS update. When I run SU, it moves the blue status bar about 1/8 the distance to the right and stops. The SU screen shows that I have updates to install but it doesn't list any of them. I've restarted, done a permissions repair and changed the permissions in Application Support so that I can read and write, even though SU is not a folder in the application support folder. Slightly frustrating since my selling point was the seamless use of the Mac. Any ideas???

Thanks a bunch

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    What do you get when you run "softwareupdate -l" (that's a lower case L) in the Terminal?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

What do you get when you run "softwareupdate -l" (that's a lower case L) in the Terminal?

Thanks for the quick reply ... here's my print out from the terminal...

2006-01-01 22:28:53.714 softwareupdate[375] loader:didFailWithError:NSError "XML parser error:

Encountered unexpected EOF

Old-style plist parser error:

Malformed data byte group at line 1; invalid hex

" Domain=SUCatalogLoader Code=0 UserInfo={

NSLocalizedDescription = "XML parser error

\\tEncountered unexpected EOF\

Old-style plist parser error

\\tMalformed data byte group at line 1; invalid hex\

";

NSURL = http://swscan.apple.com/content/cata...x-1.sucatalog;

}

XML parser error:

Encountered unexpected EOF

Old-style plist parser error:

Malformed data byte group at line 1; invalid hex
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Try deleting /Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate and /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Oh, and also, you can always download 10.4.3 manually off Apple's sites, then see if Software Update runs properly after that update.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Oh, and also, you can always download 10.4.3 manually off Apple's sites, then see if Software Update runs properly after that update.

Thanks ... deleting the plist files helped it!

Chris