Motorola and iPhone

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Given today's news about Motorola's abandonment of Apple and iTunes for the ROKR 2 do you think that there's some credence to these rumours about an Apple branded phone and any guesses for when we might see it?

I'm due an upgrade in March and have long wanted an Apple phone. The rumours seem to be hot enough that I wonder if it could arrive this month, or maybe a special event like the iPod? I've long wondered, also, how Apple could combine the iPod click wheel with a phone, but given the size of the nano and its small wheel I'm sure they could do the same with the iPhone. Look at the large, circular scroll button on the Nokia 6680 - Apple could insert a slightly larger circle for the scroll wheel and derive the functionality of pause, menu, skip forward and backwards from the other buttons on the phone. My biggest concern, design wise, however, is that all phones scratch easily and there's nothing worse than a greasy looking phone from touching - but iPods tend to mark with smears and scratches more easily than anything - surely a phone would have to lose that sleek surface?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I didn't think a music phone was going to be the big hit of the century, and I don't think Apple did either.(I guess we were both right) Music as Ring tones is one thing, but if Apple put out a phone I don't think iTunes would be what they would count on to sell it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Apple did refer to the whole thing as "a lerning experience". Gather from that what you will. I've got my own hunch.....

Zab The Fab
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I quite agree - but given the tiny hard drives Apple are able to squeeze into their iPods and the great UI, I'd be disappointed if they released a phone that didn't enhance the iPod UI and din't allow us to upload music to the phone. Also, given the rumours of an iPod with built in iSight around the corner, does this not suggest the possibility of merging the functionality of so many phones that come with cameras with functionality of the iPod. I wonder if the iPod won't expand to be used as a small base for playing films as well as storing an entire music library, with an iPhone that stores a small number (only 1000 say!!!) music files to play if you're bored.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    I think Apple's eventually going to bypass motorola, this phone is confirmed to have itunes and is much better than the rockr2

http://ces.engadget.com/2006/01/04/m...from-cingular/