Steve Jobs = Perfect?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was watching some old videos, and I watched one where Bill Gates was showing how Windows 98 worked and another where Gates was trying to show off the capabilites of some new MS hardware. In both videos, things messed up badly. It got me to thinking, are there any instances when Steve Jobs was showing off some new hardware or software at an event/expo and things just didn't work? Just wondering, that's all.

As for MWSF, where can we watch Steve's Keynote speech? will it be on apple's website after a few hours?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    There was a digital camera that didn't work when Steve was showing off iPhoto for the first time. It was left on and the batteries ran down or something. He chucked it to an assistant off-stage who promptly got another one for him.

Steve, in his mastery (and surrounded by his Reality Distortion Field) managed to improv quite well until the camera returned.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    I think there was an issue during some WWDC. I do not remember which year though. What happened was the computer froze. He said something to the extent of "well, thats why we have backups" and hit a button. It was fast and painless
  • Reply 3 of 21
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

I think there was an issue during some WWDC. I do not remember which year though. What happened was the computer froze. He said something to the extent of "well, thats why we have backups" and hit a button. It was fast and painless

It was when he announced the transition to Intel?. And I believe that the button he hit was to swith to an other PowerMac running on an Intel? chip.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Yes, all in all, Steve's keynotes are essentially flawless. You can tell he knows the presentation backwards and forwards, his team knows exactly what's supposed to happen when, the hardware works nearly impeccably every time, and I come away thinking that he uses multimedia the best of any presenter I've ever seen.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    makes me wonder who's job it is to set up the machine for Steve's presentations and the bullets that poor guy/gal must sweat the week before the presentations.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Well, with the intel switch, Steve didn't know for sure they were doing it until only a few days before.

My guess is that he has at least one more computer that it being kept at the exact same slide in order for a quick switch.

When i do presentations i always have CD backup of the file as well as a PDF version so i can do it no matter what just with less sparkle. Of course, by Murphy's laws, a lot less should happen to my presentation in front of 30 fellow peers not that crowd Steve is accustomed to.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Practice, practice, practice

I would be willing to bet that steve (and any other Apple presenter) does dry runthroughs in their offices in the days leading up to the event, and technitions run through all demos several times to enshure it works, as do the presenters so they feel totaly comfortble with it on stage.

I would also be willing to bet that Marketing and Legal teams look at/help with the slideshow, and I would be shocked if there wasnt a "dress rehersal" or two...

And after last years WWDC, photo slideshow lockup, we all learned thatthere are always at least 2 demo-ready boxes KVMed in to the show just in case.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by b3nj

It was when he announced the transition to Intel?. And I believe that the button he hit was to swith to an other PowerMac running on an Intel? chip.

NO! this was while he was displaying Tiger and it froze. More specificly the Mail Photo Attachment veiw.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Well, with the intel switch, Steve didn't know for sure they were doing it until only a few days before.

My guess is that he has at least one more computer that it being kept at the exact same slide in order for a quick switch.

When i do presentations i always have CD backup of the file as well as a PDF version so i can do it no matter what just with less sparkle. Of course, by Murphy's laws, a lot less should happen to my presentation in front of 30 fellow peers not that crowd Steve is accustomed to.

NO! It was IBM that didn't know for sure. Apple knew for sure much ahead of WWDC.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I just find computer screw ups that happen to Apple to be very ironic or at least, very humiliating.

Heck, Apple prides itself on having its products "just work."
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

NO! this was while he was displaying Tiger and it froze. More specificly the Mail Photo Attachment veiw.

hmmm... you're right... but... it was the WWDC keynote whem he announced the swith to Intel...? wasn't it?
  • Reply 12 of 21
    No, It was the year before. Thinking back, I was wrong about the year. It rings a bell that it was during the slideshow part of mail
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

No, It was the year before. Thinking back, I was wrong about the year. It rings a bell that it was during the slideshow part of mail

huh?

i did recall it was during a presentation of iPhoto.. or before iPhoto.. and if I remembered it correctly.. it was a something with a sunset on a tropical island.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Soon after reading this thread I came upon this article on Digg http://technology.guardian.co.uk/wee...677772,00.html

I hope that helps
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by b3nj

huh?

i did recall it was during a presentation of iPhoto.. or before iPhoto.. and if I remembered it correctly.. it was a something with a sunset on a tropical island.

I should have been more specific. I was saying that it was a year back from my original thought.

Regardless, Steve did have a screw-up but he fixed it smoothly
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I found one example:

MWSF 2005. You can see it on the QT video from the Apple website. It occurs around the 12 min, 5 sec mark.

Hehehe, at least Apple had the excuse that Tiger was not officially released.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    The DVD of something froze when he was demonstrating DVD playing in 10.1, I believe.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Here's a good screw-up. I believe you have to download the file - it doesn't stream properly.

http://homepage.mac.com/lorna/.Movies/mac-crash.mov
  • Reply 19 of 21
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I like how at the end of the video, Steve puts his hands together and holds them to his mouth and thinks for a few seconds.

I wonder what he was thinking about? Perhaps who he should fire?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    "It's pretty cool when it works!"

WARNING! RDF LOSING POWER. BACKUP SYSTEMS GO!