New i display in my near future, maybe

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I will have more cash than expected from student loans this semester, so I am really thinking of replacing my display, because the 17 inch CRT cant do anything over 1280*1024 60Hz and 60 HZ on a CRT makes me sick after about an hour, so I run at 1024*768 85Hz and I really want mmore screen realestate.

I have used and love the Cinima displays, but looking at the Dell 2005, I really cannot think of one reason to buy the Apple and not the Dell, can someone please justify the ~$250 price differance?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You can easily get the Dell for around $350 US with various coupons.

Here's a few arguments for the Apple:

1) design

2) it cleans up clutter; only one combined cable on the screen end

3) FireWire

4) very simple and integrated interface (drivers for Windows and Linux exist)

Here's arguments for the Dell:

1) analog inputs, including VGA (decent image, but hardly as good as DVI) and Composite (nice if you want to quickly connect your digital camera to see its pictures on a big screen, or connect, say, a video recorder)

2) two inputs at a time with PiP or PbP

3) four, not two, USB ports, including two easily accessible ones on the side (but no FireWire)

4) a decent OSD that works anywhere without a driver

5) a price tag you cannot beat

I've owned the Dell for over a half a year. Its looks aren't all that bad, but nothing to write home about either. It has a slight annoyance whereby the screen never seem entirely balanced, thanks to its pivot mode, but that may just be my model or my chaotic apartment.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Funny. . .

I just finished attempting to repair a 1.2 year old Dell FP2005. (If you're curious, it's a BenQ display board, an LG panel, and a TDK CCFL driver.) They aren't bad displays, but we've had two go out (out of 15 total or so) in the year and change that we've had them.

I think the problem is that they are plugged into UPSes. Both of the ones that went out were plugged into UPSes. This, incidentally, would shed new light on that "cheap capacitor" thread that's active at the moment.

You may also want to check out the Formac Gallery 2010. They are relatively interesting to look at, and they seem to get consistently great reviews as far as image quality.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Since wire clutter doesnt bug me, and I need as many USB prots ad I can get, the 20 inch Dell sounds like a winner to me.

And Safari not taking the WHOLE screen to see a small webpage will be cool too.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Just to be clear, we're talking about the 2005FPW, not a non-widescreen version, right?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Since wire clutter doesnt bug me, and I need as many USB prots ad I can get, the 20 inch Dell sounds like a winner to me.

And Safari not taking the WHOLE screen to see a small webpage will be cool too.

One other thing: The Dell uses two, two port hubs to get four ports. So it's fine low interrupt stuff (like plugging in a camera) but there may be some jitter if you plug in a mouse or a webcam into the monitor hub.

But it's a damn decent monitor in any respect.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Well, with any luck, the price will drop after new stuff is announced at CES...so Feb (when I get the cash for my loan) may be a decent time to buy!!

Cant wait tto get it, thanks all
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Just to be clear, we're talking about the 2005FPW, not a non-widescreen version, right?

Oh, yea. Along with the resolution, the wide aspect ratio on big LCDs has won me over.