Airport Express audio: total washout?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got a new Airport Extreme base station (I had previously been using a Linksys wireless router) and Airport Express and I'm having a very negative experience trying to use the latter with iTunes (which was the main purpose of buying it in the first place).

The audio streaming from iTunes to the Airport Express doesn't play continuously. Instead, I get a few seconds of audio, followed by a few seconds of silence, followed by a few seconds of audio, and so on. It drives me nuts. When I first set everything up, it seemed to work more or less OK for the first few minutes, but then this problem cropped up and has only been getting worse -- now I'm lucky if I get 5 seconds of uninterrupted audio. When the audio drops out, the timer on iTunes stops advancing during the silence, then starts moving again when the audio restarts.

Now the tech details:

*I'm seeing this problem from both of my computers: an OS X G5 running 10.4.3 which is connected to the Airport Extreme base station via Ethernet and a Windows XP machine connecting to the network via wireless. Both are using the latest version of iTunes.

*I'm using WPA authentication on my network, and allowing both B and G connections.

*I've updated the firmware for both the base station and the Airport Express with the updates that were released today (1/4/06).

Anyone have any ideas?