Digital TV: Leaving viewers in limbo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Digital TV

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one totally confused about this often delayed and continually confusing issue.

When I walk into stores, I still see only a very small minority of televisions available with any sort of digital tuner. All that small minority are big screen televisions.

I stumbled into this issue when pondering a new television for my travel trailer. Since the transition was initially (after numerous extensions) supposed to be in 2006, I thought I might buy a television with a digital tuner. Instead I can't even find a television in the 9-12" range available and yet they are claiming we are making this jump in 2009.

How is this ever going to sort itself out?

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WBN, UPN, MTV2, a couple weather stations, and a public station with a tiny set-top antenna and an HD tuner in my home theater stack. Total cost: $250.

But you know what... it still seems like a beta. It's the highest fidelity AV source available but everything is flakey. Stations routinely go black for a few seconds, having simply failed to switch a setting at the proper time. Audio sync issues creep in at the national and local levels.

I predict that the DTV switchover will be delayed at least twice. There's no way we'll be ready in 3 years.

With that said, HDTV on my DLP projector still blows my mind... every single time going on 3 years now. Who cares if its beta, it looks too damned good.