Just got 2 free Powermacs but they dont boot.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well like ive said i got two free power macs to use in my studio neither of them boot up. one is on os9 and one is on osX, it displays the os9 and osX boot up screens but they just shut down before they get any further. any idea what could be wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Do they not turn on at all? Or maybe the operating system is completely screwed? What kind of PowerMacs are you dealing with? Are you sure all the hardware is accounted for and works? There's got to be a reason these PowerMacs were free, besides messed up software.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sounds like your studio is off to a good start! congrats!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jmila1901

Well like ive said i got two free power macs to use in my studio neither of them boot up. one is on os9 and one is on osX, it displays the os9 and osX boot up screens but they just shut down before they get any further. any idea what could be wrong?

Yeah, sounds like the previous owner just deleted as much of the system as they could.

You need an OS disk to install OS X on them.

What PowerMacs are they?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Yeah, the studio has gotten off to a great start but we have allot of macs aside from these two. 3 powerbooks, 1 cube, 6 g4's two of which dont boot (just got the name for em, Quicksilver), and 6 imac's. lol and one PeeCee sitting on the back corner. And we just got the ok to buy 5 new g5's and final cut studio 5.