Bombshell!!! = Intel Going Quad Core Within A Year!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/...ans_uncovered/

Intel was surprisingly talkative when it came to future technologies and products this year. As a result, most of the technical audience is up to date regarding the upcoming micro architecture based on the 65 nm Merom design. We discovered that all of these announcements are the top of a hot iceberg only, because the chip firm intends to deliver almost 20 new processor designs within the next eight quarters; all for the sole purpose of dominating the desktop, mobile and enterprise segments.

Last week, Intel held a series of presentations at its Ronler Acres campus in Hillsboro, Oregon, whose facilities represent the main pillar of product design and manufacturing. These presentations included a short tour to the top-notch 65 nm production facility Fab D1D whose specifics Intel is currently replicating to other locations. The primary purpose of this show obviously was to convince around 80 analysts and journalists of the substantial health of Intel's 65 nm fabrication leadership, which is outputting new processors in high volume for launching new Pentium 4 6x1, Pentium D 900 and Core branded (known as Yonah) processors in early 2006.

However, the spectacle almost looked a bit too good to be true at first, because virtually everything the presenters were talking about was highly positive. But our latest discoveries prove that Intel is dead serious about it. We found that the 65 nm manufacturing is healthy enough to eventually unroll more processor designs than ever before within the next two years, both in 65 and 45 nm.

There will be lots of dual cores, quad cores and even the first eight core CPUs are outlined clearly. Although this information is still confidential and likely to be adjusted a bit over time, we would like to share our outlook with you. Not only is Intel working on an excellent product base, but also there seems to be a fresh wind of change with the introduction of the new CTO Justin Rattner, who we believe is capable of upgrading Intel's technology image with a touch of emotion.

Note: The information we discovered was *not* provided by Intel and has nothing to do with the event in Oregon that this article mentions.

(follow the link aboove to read like 9 more pages. )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Where's the bombshell?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Code:

CategoryCode NameCores Cache Expected Market Availability

Desktop KentsfieldDual core multi-die4 MBMid 2007

Desktop Conroe Dual core single die4 MB sharedEnd 2006

Desktop AllendaleDual core single die2 MB sharedEnd 2006

Desktop Cedar Mill Single core 512 kB/1 MB/2 MBEarly 2006

Desktop Presler Dual core, dual die4 MBEarly 2006

Desktop/MobileMillvilleSingle core 1 MBEarly 2007

Mobile Yonah2 Dual core, single die 2 MBEarly 2006

Mobile Yonah1 Single core 1/2 MBMid 2006

Mobile Stealey Single core 512 kBMid 2007

Mobile Merom Dual core, single die2/4 MB sharedEnd 2006

EnterpriseSossamanDual core, single die2 MBEarly 2006

EnterpriseWoodcrestDual core, single die4 MBMid 2006

EnterpriseClovertownQuad core, multi-die4 MBMid 2007

EnterpriseDempsey Dual core, dual die4 MBMid 2006

EnterpriseTulsa Dual core single die4/8/16 MBEnd 2006

EnterpriseWhitefieldQuad core single die8 MB, 16 MB sharedEarly 2008

note the quads in the final lines (extracted from here)

note also that they expect dual core Yonah chips before single core ones.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I pretty much knew all this months ago. Nuthin' new here. You can easily figure out where Apple's going with the PM this year, though. Just look at Intels' chip timetable for clues.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I would say from that it's would be the woodcrest, but there is nothing on the dual core XEONs that are due early this year in that list. I was more into the speculative / rumor-mongering of the writer of the article. He was all hopped up on cores.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Old news.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The Xeons for this year are Dempsey (same as Presler) and later Woodcrest (probably same as Conroe).
  • Reply 7 of 11
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    And all the while AMD will have way better stuff with more cache and 64 bits of sexiness, leaving Intel and by association, Apple, in the dust.

Amazing that Apple switches to Intel right about the time IBM and especially AMD have way better stuff.

The tables have turned, now it's Intel that runs hot and AMD that runs cool. I'm planning to buy another AMD CPU for my PC within the next 3 months.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    does dual core beat 64 for processing???doesn't the app need to be 64 native to make a difference so maybe for most dual core is better than 64....what 64 apps are out there???
  • Reply 9 of 11
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

And all the while AMD will have way better stuff with more cache and 64 bits of sexiness, leaving Intel and by association, Apple, in the dust.

Yes, but AMD based stuff is *ALWAYS* plagued with terrible PCI/Chipset problems.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Targon

Yes, but AMD based stuff is *ALWAYS* plagued with terrible PCI/Chipset problems.

With the exception of my AMDs I guess. Maybe you shouldn't buy the cheapest mobos on the market and then stuff like that wont happen

And by the way, AMD had dual-core chips before intel, and will likely have quad-core as well.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

And by the way, AMD had dual-core chips before intel, and will likely have quad-core as well.

I wouldn't bet on that. Intel's process technology is ahead and getting farther ahead, and now that they are clearly well on the multi-core road this will mean being able to leverage their process advantage to deliver more cores sooner.