Market Share, revisited

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Recent data on browser market share shows Safari with 3.07% market share for Dec. Now granted, these market share estimates are all bonkers in one way or another, but doesn't this seem to indicate that the Mac share is at a minimum that 3%? I know many Mac users that use OmniWeb or Firefox, or spoof as IE to get access to some sites, but no Windows of Linux user could be using Safari, so it seems like a pretty hard floor for Mac market share.

Anyone have latest sales or installed base market share numbers to compare?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    I think the 3% figure could be fairly accurate.

Since we all know that the plural of "anecdote" is "data," here are some numbers from the Website of a company I'm doing consulting for. The site gets over 300,000 page views in a slow week and the services it supports are fairly platform-agnostic.

Site visits by platform for the last week: Windows 97.6%, Mac 2.18%. Browser use: Safari 1.35%, IE across all platforms 88%, Firefox across all platforms 8%, Netscape across all platforms 1.4%. With the exception of Safari, these numbers are close to the MarketWatch numbers in the article you linked to.

What's more interesting to me are the changes over time at my client's site. Comparing the last week in September, 2005 with the week that ended yesterday (roughly 3 months):

Mac platform visits: up 33%

Windows platform visits: down 0.5%

Comparing browser use over the same period:

Safari: 48% increase in visitors using this browser

Firefox (all platforms): 17% increase

IE (all platforms): 1.1% decrease