iPod with FM Radio

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I want an iPod with FM Radio! *stomp* ;o)

On the last Mac Expo in Europe I was told will be one. When? *sigh*

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Why not just get iFM and let only the people who want radio buy it?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    What he said.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    There is absolutely no reason the iPod doesn't have a radio function yet.

The fact that is doesn't now says there is some sort of power struggle going on at Apple. I would have though the iPod would have radio long before video.

#1: Batter life? A built-in radio receiver will not kill battery life. Because no hard drive is used, in all likeliness, it will last much longer.

#2: Interface? Look at the early iTrip. Selecting a station from a menu is pretty darn easy. If you don't want to use the screen, the scroll wheel is perfect to search for your station.

#3: Space? FM receivers have gotten to single-chip simplicity. EXAMPLE You can't tell me there is no room for that IC. And like modern small FM radios, it uses the headphone cable as the antenna.

Well, al least iPod competitors still have their niche.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    There is absolutely no reason the iMac doesn't have a floppy drive yet.

The fact that is doesn't now says there is some sort of power struggle going on at Apple. I would have though the iMac would have floppy long before DVD burning.

#1: Heat dissipation? A built-in floppy drive will not kill fans. Because no hard drive is used, in all likeliness, it will last longer.

#2: Interface? Look at the early Imation USB Floppy Drive. Mounting a floppy is pretty darn easy. If you don't want to use the Finder, the Terminal is perfect to search for your files.

#3: Space? Floppy controllers have gotten to single-chip simplicity. EXAMPLE You can't tell me there is no room for that IC. And like modern small external drives, it uses the USB port for power
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Creative, I'll give you that.

But broadcast radio (especially for NPR addicts and the like) is far from obsolete. Just because someone, myself included, can't stand all the whining passing as "music" and ads on the radio, doesn't mean the #1 portable music device should turn a blind eye to this very popular medium. As the family Mac guy, the #1 iPod question is "How do I get radio?" and that is the main reason I didn't get an iPod for my parents.

There is a strong demand for combo devices such as FM and MP3 players and that is the iPod's greatest failure.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I even copied some of your spelling and punctuation mistakes

Quote:

But broadcast radio (especially for NPR addicts and the like) is far from obsolete.

Different people, different needs.

NPR-style broadcasting is fast getting obsoleted by podcasts. It being "live" doesn't matter for these things, and with podcasts, you have a lot more flexibility in terms of which programs you actually want to listen to. Plus, you can pause, and both iPod and iTunes keep track of the very second you left off.

Music broadcasting, which you said you weren't much interested in anyway, seems to work out better for satellite radio these days. I would definitely welcome an add-on to support Sirius or XM via the Dock connector.

Between the two, I don't think much of a gap is left for FM. Traffic information? Sure, but you don't need an iPod for that. The car radio does a damn fine job at it. And even that is slowly being replaced by GPS-based navigation systems that offer far more information. That's not a luxury item any more.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I second that. edit: Ebby's opinion, that is.

I love my iPod, and would have bought my girlfriend one long time ago, if there would be a radio built-in.

I myself could not care less, but she absolutely loves radio.

And no, buying an extra fm accessory is no good option.

The cost is also no real reason, I'm shure apple can get radio-chips for under $1,- apiece in bulk. Say $5,- extra costs in total for inluding this functionality.

SO, nobody gets hurt by inclusion of radio and lots of people would be happy with the extra functionality. I have to agree that not including FM radio is the iPod's biggest flaw.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

NPR-style broadcasting is fast getting obsoleted by podcasts. It being "live" doesn't matter for these things, and with podcasts, you have a lot more flexibility in terms of which programs you actually want to listen to. Plus, you can pause, and both iPod and iTunes keep track of the very second you left off.

Music broadcasting, which you said you weren't much interested in anyway, seems to work out better for satellite radio these days. I would definitely welcome an add-on to support Sirius or XM via the Dock connector.

You are serious???

Podcasts are essentially a geek/computernerd phenomenon!

My girlfriend would want to put her music on her iPod once, no way would she even consider connecting it daily to the computer to get some podcast. Once every two weeks to charge it max. I can already hear her laughing at me even suggesting that!! "why can't i just listen to radio, what is wrong with radio????"

And sattelite radio is a phenomenon just as obscure as a permanently inhabited Mars-base here where I live, and I'm pretty sure all over Europe.

FM-radio is going nowhere for at least next five years!!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I even copied some of your spelling and punctuation mistakes

Caught me. I've been sick for 3 days. So sue me.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

But broadcast radio (especially for NPR addicts and the like) is far from obsolete. Just because someone, myself included, can't stand all the whining passing as "music" and ads on the radio, doesn't mean the #1 portable music device should turn a blind eye to this very popular medium. As the family Mac guy, the #1 iPod question is "How do I get radio?" and that is the main reason I didn't get an iPod for my parents.

There is a strong demand for combo devices such as FM and MP3 players and that is the iPod's greatest failure.

This is why the iPod has designed for an accessory market so it doesn't exclude anybody. There is no excuse for not just using an accessory.

People who want a feature can buy it without adding cost to the device for everybody else. Cost doesn't just come down to component cost either, there are manufacturing and design costs involved, how long does it take to add an extra chip for instance and what does that cost you in terms of production capacity? That's a big deal when you're pumping out at least 1 iPod every second, and that's just the nanos.

All that surprises me is how scarce iFM is in stores. I'm yet to ever see it in a store, unlike iTrips.

As an aside if ever you've opened a nano you'd know you'd really struggle to fit another chip in there and keep the size.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    FM would be a good idea, I think. However, the fact that the iPod is doing so well without it...kind of is starting to make me at least a less vociferous critic of its omission. It's not as important as adding a microphone!!!! THAT is for sure.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    'Different people, different needs.'

Yes, I am one of those NPR music listeners, this month is the 250th anniversary of Mozart's birth. I would like to think that he and so many of his fellows would have used Macs.

'NPR-style broadcasting is fast getting obsoleted by podcasts.'

Nay.

'It being "live" doesn't matter for these things, and with podcasts, you have a lot more flexibility in terms of which programs you actually want to listen to. Plus, you can pause, and both iPod and iTunes keep track of the very second you left off.'

True, if there are podcasts of programming. Would love it if that were true. However, one of the state public radion stations I get does not have a podcast of much of its programming that I can find. The other has some podcasts.

I would welcome fm radio for the iPod.

'I would definitely welcome an add-on to support Sirius or XM via the Dock connector.'

Yes, I too have mailed Sirius about this.

'Between the two, I don't think much of a gap is left for FM.'

Hmmph.

I will have to see about adding on again to my iPod, but first will see what Tuesday brings.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

But broadcast radio (especially for NPR addicts and the like) is far from obsolete.

Yes. But it is only a matter of time.

Seriously, while I'm not going to go on record and say that podcasting will kill broadcast radio. If I were in that business, I'd be a little nervous.

P.S. I'd also be a little nervous if I was in the video rental business...but that is a discussion for another thread.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    BT ipod makes more sense to me then fm
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

P.S. I'd also be a little nervous if I was in the video rental business...but that is a discussion for another thread.

As it happens the video rental market is already dying but apparently because people prefer to just buy DVDs they like than rent them these days.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Hmm, iFM may soon be headed this way. That, or a radio shark for recording programming and then-putting on my iPod.

Good point made here earlier by Telomar about the third party market, and cost compared to the audience requesting features.

If I do one of these, I will send a review to my public radio music stations here.