My Jinxed iMac G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I switched from windows a year ago to an iMac G5. I am really loving the OS but my computer has been nothing but trouble. I had to replace the powersupply and then had to send it in to get a new motherboard. It is now again doing the same thing it was before that required a new motherboard before... It has horrible video artifacts when user switching.

And just tonight I noticed that the screen is failing. There is horribly distortion in the screen. Its like there is somethign in the screen, like marks.

The worst thing is that when I have to get it fixed I have to be without it and I am so dependent on my computer.

I chatted with a web support guy and he recomended calling applecare and requesting a new machine. Has anyone actually managed to do this? To have apple replace a machine outright? and if so is it a refurbished? or new?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

I chatted with a web support guy and he recomended calling applecare and requesting a new machine. Has anyone actually managed to do this? To have apple replace a machine outright? and if so is it a refurbished? or new?

I have not experience on such things, but if this is what the guy told you, I would say give it a try. After so much trouble, you have the right to do it. And it seems that the last iMac generation has no the issues that plagued the first two generations. It is in your best interest at this moment to obtain a third generation iMac as a replacement. I don't know what Apple does in such cases, my guess is that they would give you a new machine.

As always, be nice when in contact with the customer service people, and make clear the problems you had with your iMac. Also don't forget to mention that your request comes as a recommendation of an Apple support person. With some luck (I wish you much) it should work.