Chrysler Group and Apple announce iPod integration

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The Chrysler Group on Sunday announced that it will be the first American automaker to provide full iPod integration as an option in most of its 2006 models, with over three million 2006 Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge models offering seamless iPod connectively beginning this spring.

Exhibiting at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this week, the auto maker said drivers will be able to select and listen to their music by artist, album or playlist with either radio or steering wheel controls. Selections will also appear on the radio's display screen.

"We're thrilled that over three million Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge automobiles will offer great iPod connectivity in 2006," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. "Over 40 percent of all cars sold in the US in 2006 will offer iPod connectivity."

Chrysler joins 16 other auto makers that currently offer iPod integration in their vehicles.

"Customers have been asking for iPod connectivity and we're excited to make it available to so many of our vehicles in 2006," said Randy Ewers, director, Mopar Accessories Portfolio Team. "We're providing the largest number and range of automobiles with iPod support of any automaker, allowing Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge owners to bring and listen to their entire music collections."

The optional iPod Integration Kit for Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge model lines will be available to customers for US$175 plus installation. In addition, the solution can be retrofit to many model year 2005 vehicles, Chrysler said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    How far away then is Mercedes Benz?

edit: They already do!

Rock on Apple!!!

• Reply 2 of 41
    kmok1kmok1 Posts: 63member
    About time!!!

Why the Americans are so slow...
  • Reply 3 of 41
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

How far away then is Mercedes Benz?

edit: They already do!

Rock on Apple!!!

I was going to say that if the new 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid had iPod integration, it would be the perfect car. But after seeing your edit, I did a search and apparently they do, too!
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Give it a year or two and a majority of cars will have a solution one way or another because iPods in the car is a serious feature people want and those that provide are gonna start selling more cars. Competition will be good for iPod owners everywhere.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Gah! I drive a 2004 Chrysler!

Oh well, I'll just have to use the integration deal I got for Christmas.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Fantastic. Now, would one of you car manufacturers be so bold as to provide an actual dock instead of a glove box plug?
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Sweet, I want a new PT Cruiser, and really wanted an integrated solution!
  • Reply 8 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Sweet fancy Moses! 16th in line, and this is still news. Why in the screaming hell don't American car manufacturers at least ATTEMPT to look less like dinosaurs run by clueless drone clones and idiots!

I bought VW and never looked back... although I'd prefer Audi!
  • Reply 9 of 41
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    There´s a typo here, Kaspar...

Wrong:

"Chrysler joins 16 other auto makers that currently offer iPod integration in their veichles. "

Right:

" -I´ll let our senses work here :3 -"

Funny though, this sounds pretty "austrish" - "veichles".
  • Reply 10 of 41
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    How much would it cost to get a HUD installed in a car? Having a HUD would make scrolling through songs/artists/podcasts/etc a lot easier. I also agree with the poster that says the iPod needs to come out of the glove box. There should be a way to insert the iPod into the stereo, and do not tell me there is no room, because I am old enough to remember 8-track tapes. There could be a one size fits all exterior case that goes into the stereo, but there would be different inserts to hold the different model iPods securely.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

I bought VW and never looked back... although I'd prefer Audi!

No offense, but VW has to be the only other car manufacturer with worse build quality than the Americans. Shoulda got the Audi.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

No offense, but VW has to be the only other car manufacturer with worse build quality than the Americans. Shoulda got the Audi.

Considering VW and Audi are the same corporation and use the exact same platforms, that seems like nonsense.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

That may be true of the newer models, but mine is a year 2000. No major problems (other than getting scratched and dented by several other careless drivers). Generally happy with it, and it even saved my life helping avoid hitting a drive shaft at about 75 mph on the freeway. (Missed the drive shaft, spun around 180 degrees, and ended up on the side of the road with no damage! I'll never forget that.)
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Considering VW and Audi are the same corporation and use the exact same platforms, that seems like nonsense.

false. stop spreading ignorance. same parent doesnt mean the same quality. look at dodge and mercedes.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

Sweet, I want a new PT Cruiser

umm...no offense, but...why???
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

false. stop spreading ignorance. same parent doesnt mean the same quality. look at dodge and mercedes.

Good point, and in fact a Dodge Neon and a Mercedes have nothing at all in common.

But in fact the original poster was right, in that the VW Golf, Jetta,and Passat, and the Audi A3 and A4 share a *lot* in common, including engines. So engineering-wise, they're very similar cars (although of course Audis have that touch of smoothness and class that you pay a pretty penny for).

Most VWs, however, are built in Mexico and in the earlier years of that the build quality did suffer (the Jetta wagon has always been built in Germany--with Polish and other eastern European parts). Audis are for the most part built in Germany, but again with a world-sourced part bin!

P.S.--I particularly liked the earlier comment about American car companies being dinosaurs. It's so true, and so sad.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Good point, and in fact a Dodge Neon and a Mercedes have nothing at all in common.

But in fact the original poster was right, in that the VW Golf, Jetta,and Passat, and the Audi A3 and A4 share a *lot* in common, including engines. So engineering-wise, they're very similar cars (although of course Audis have that touch of smoothness and class that you pay a pretty penny for).

Most VWs, however, are built in Mexico and in the earlier years of that the build quality did suffer (the Jetta wagon has always been built in Germany--with Polish and other eastern European parts). Audis are for the most part built in Germany, but again with a world-sourced part bin!

P.S.--I particularly liked the earlier comment about American car companies being dinosaurs. It's so true, and so sad.

yes, my point actually was along the lines of what you said, but i failed to elaborate. yes, they share the same parts for the most part, but the build quality is pretty much a different story. i would never buy a VW (the phaeton caused the build quality of the jetta and passat to turn to shit the last few years) and they are just now starting to turn things around. but...i would buy an audi. completely different quality background.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    Truth be told all of Dodge new cars (Viper, 300, Magnum, Charger (Neon was discontinued as September)) are built with the exact transmissions as MB and all suspension and brake systems are MB. Exact specs as any MB just larger designs for the larger cars. Don?t believe me check it out for yourself ... Dodge is not American any longer. The only car left in design that still has American influence is the upcoming Challenger, which has SRT-10 6.8 Magnum, 5 speed and rear wheel posi-trac rear axle. MB gave them the freedom to compete against the upcoming release of the all-new Camaro. All this info will be displayed at the Detroit auto show this week.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

umm...no offense, but...why???

No offense taken I love my current PT, you can fit four adults comfortably in it, fold up the back and stick all kinds of gear in it, and it so small that parking is a breeze. Plus I like the look of it. But to each their own.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    If I had to choose between a VW and an AUDI, I would most probably take neither. You pay way too much for the name of AUDI (at least here in Austria). As for VW, you can find easily cars with comparable features (including Skoda which is owned by VW and shares platforms as well) for considerable less money.

If I had the money for a decent car I would go for a BMW, but on the other side, if I pay that much I could go for a LEXUS either.

Does LEXUS have an ipod-integration? (nice trick to get back on topic )

copeland