Smart Folder Help

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have attempted this one other time, besides today and have come up short both times. The whole smart folder idea seems very useful to me, but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work the way it seems like it could.

I have a general downloads folder on my desktop, Safari and other apps are all set to download files into their (keeping my desktop clean). Some apps created their own folders inside of this - which doesn't cause a problem. Now my idea is, to create a few smart folders, to sort out the files in there. I would like to have a smart folder that would display all of the music files, and one to display all the videos files, ect.

So far I've been able to acheive this. The issue I have, is that say I have downloaded a file containing a bunch of audio samples and loops, and it uncompresses into it's own folder for example called "loops" in the downloads folder.

Now in my Music smart folder, I would like it to be able to instead of displaying each of the samples/loops (which lets say there are a lot of them, 100) I would like it to just display the folder that they are in. Because otherwise, I end up with a Music smart folder that has hundreds of little sound samples mixed in with a handful of MP3's and it becomes a mess and is not helpful at all.

It feels like there should be an option for "if/and/or" someplace but I can't seem to find a way to do it. I supppose I may just have to rethink of how I'm going to seperate stuff out, but either way this could be helpful to me in the future.

Any ideas?