Apple rolls out new iMacs, Mac Book Pro, iLife '06

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
MACWORLD -- Apple Computer co-founder and CEO Steve Jobs today kicked-off one of the most highly-anticipated Macworld Expo trade shows ever by providing an update on retail and iPod figures.

Retail

He said Apple currently operates 135 retail stores world-wide, which combined to serve over 26 million visitors during the recent holiday quarter. The stores also achieved their first $1B quarter last quarter.

iPods

Moving on to the iPod, Jobs said Apple sold 14 million iPods this past holiday quarter -- a rate of over 100 iPods per minute. This compares to 4.5 million last holiday quarter. In total, Apple has shipped 42 million iPods to date.

iTunes

As is the case with iPod sales, Apple's iTunes Music Store continues to excel. Jobs said iTunes customers have purchased and downloaded over 850 million songs so far. Customers are now purchasing songs at a rate of over 3 million per day (over 1 billion songs a year).

Similarly, iTunes Video sales are also on the rise, with 8 million sold since Oct 12th, 2005. Jobs said the music store would also be adding new Saturday Night Live television content throughout the day.

Before drawing his attention completely to the Macintosh, Jobs introduced a single new iPod accessory for fifth-generation iPods: a $49 iPod Radio FM tuner / remote that plugs into an iPod's display to offer on-screen tuning.

Mac OS X 10.4.4

Promising that the rest of his keynote presentation would focus on the Macintosh (which drew applause), Jobs performed a brief demo of the company's new post production image editing tool called Aperture and then immediately shifted to Mac OS X.

Jobs announced Mac OS X 10.4.4, which he said would feature updated calendar and address book widgets from Apple and new widgets from Google and ESPN. Since the release of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger last April, Jobs said Mac OS X users have created over 1500 authorized Dashboard widgets.

iLife '06

Shifting to digital lifestyle software, Jobs introduced the iLife '06 application suite, which he described as a "giant release" with new music, movies, photo, and blog tools.

iPhoto

A new version of iPhoto is faster than its predecessor and now holds up to 250,000 photos (1000 photos a month for 20 years). The application features full support for Photocasing, which Jobs described as 'podcasting for photos.'

Users of the application can create private and public photo albums and choose to have their public photo albums update automatically on the Internet when changes are made in iPhoto. The new version also adds a greeting card creation feature and a module that will let users create calendars with images.

iMovie

While Jobs proclaimed that last year would be the year of HD for iMovie, this year he said the company is adding animated themes for movies, real time effects, and new audio tools. The new version also features multiple project support, real-time effects, and the ability to export video to an iPod.

iDVD

Jobs also introduced a new version of iDVD with support for wide-screen menus, vastly improved slideshows, enhanced map viewing, and support for third-party DVD burners. The new version packs a "Magic iDVD" feature that lets users choose a theme, drop in movies and photos and then click a single button to create a DVD.

Garageband

Talking about Garageband, Jobs said Apple has built Podcast creation directly into a new version of the audio creation application. The updated application even integrates with iChat for remote interviews, Jobs said. Other new additions to Garageband include 200 royalty-free sound effects, 100-plus royalty-free jingles, automatic "ducking" effect, and a speech enhancer.

Rounding out the iLife '06 announcements, Jobs introduced a sixth application, dubbed iWeb, which lets users share photos, movies, video podcasts, music, blogs, and more on the Web. iWeb features several templates and modules, support for AJAX technology, and one-click instant blog publishing.

iWork '06

Jobs said Apple will sell the new 6 application iLife suite for $79 beginning today. He also announced iWork '06, which includes new features such as advanced image editing, image reflections, free form and masking tools, tables with calculations, and new themes and templates.

Intel Macs

Next, Intel chief executive Paul Otellini -- dressed in the Intel Bunny Suit costume -- joined Jobs on stage to begin introducing the first Macs with Intel processors.

New iMacs

Jobs announced that the first Macs to go Intel would be the iMac, with new 17- and 20-inch models that are nearly identical to their predecessors but sport Intel's new Core Duo processors. Benchmarks show the new iMacs to be 2-3 times the speed of the current iMac G5.

The iMacs will begin shipping today with a native version of Mac OS X 10.4.4, which Jobs said would include all native applications. Additionally, iLife and iWork '06 are both universal binaries.

Pro Apps

Apple will be updating many of its Pro applications to universal binaries in March, Jobs said. This includes Final Cut Pro and Aperture. Customers who have already purchased a current version of Apple Pro software will be able to trade in their disc for a universal binary disc for $49.

Third Party Universal Binaries

Jobs said several third party developers are also working on universal binaries of their applications. Microsoft, he said, is "on track" to deliver universal binaries of Office and Messenger sometime in the future while Quark this week will begin shipping a native binary of its desktop publishing software.

Microsoft also renewed its commitment to the Mac, vouching to continue to develop new versions of Microsoft Office for Mac for the next five years.

One More Thing...

Just before closing out his speech, Jobs kept to tradition and announced that he had "One More Thing..."

He said the 15-inch PowerBook product line would be going away in favor of a new "Mac Book Pro." The laptop features a 15.4-inch display and is a hair thinner than the 17" PowerBook. Additionally, it's about 4-5 times as fast as the previous PowerBooks, Jobs said.

Mac Book Pro includes a built-in iSight, IR sensor, Apple Remote, and new Power Adapter. It weighs 5.6lbs and will ship with Front Row software. A 1.67 Core Duo model will retail for $1999, while a high-end 1.83GHz model will sell for $2499.

Apple will begin taking orders for the Mac Book Pro today for shipments beginning next month.

Update: A replay of Steve Jobs' Mac World Keynote Presentation has been posted online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 114
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    can't believe they called it the MacBook Pro... sounds kinda strange/lame... i know they had to get rid of the Power stuff... but... i liked that name

oh well... i'll have to get used to it

but... wait a sec... if the powerbook is now the MacBook Pro, what will be the name of the PowerMac?
  • Reply 2 of 114
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Does this mean we?ll see fire sale prices of remaining G4 Powerbooks? Especially the 15 model?

Not that I care. The MacBook Pro will be my next new Mac! My G3 Powerbook is so old and bulky I can?t stand to look at it! And I don?t care what Apple says I?m calling the new Mac laptop the Intel Powerbook

• Reply 3 of 114
    So is the MacBook Pro Superdrive dual-layer? The specs say it reads double layer, I just want to make sure.
  • Reply 4 of 114
    Not impressed, I thought the switch to Intel was supposed to lower prices...

And WTF, no FW800 in the 'MacBook Pro' (seriously lame)!!! How can you introduce something great like that and then just axe it???!!!???

Nothing but the expected... nothing more
  • Reply 5 of 114
    YAY no stickers! no pentium or other meaningless names no G just the item name "YES I love asthetics" but the sleep indicator is now a ugly hole in the front,a blight on what Otherwise is a perfect design victory!!!!!!

No Firewire 800? Seems Bizzare. \

COOL $200 less for 2 gigs of ram... yay.

cant wait for the 17 and 12 inch
  • Reply 6 of 114
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Good keynote.

Macbook looks amazing! Just wonder why there isn't a Macbook 17".

Also, I wished Apple introduced some sort of media center. I wonder why is taking so long for that to happen. With so many companies jumping on, I wonder if Apple will lose the lead on that. Look forward to a special event to announce that soon.

Ilife and Iwork looks good.

I'm wondering how many people out there are disappointed with the keynote.
  • Reply 7 of 114
    No Viiv, either. Unless they're going to announce it at a later time.
  • Reply 8 of 114
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

Not impressed, I thought the switch to Intel was supposed to lower prices...

And WTF, no FW800 in the 'MacBook Pro' (seriously lame)!!! How can you introduce something great like that and then just axe it???!!!???

Nothing but the expected... nothing more

iMacs prices have increased here in the UK, £929 now. Also all of the PPC hardware is still the same price.

LOL... somone must have ben feeding the rumour sites BS... new 13.3" iBooks? Media Mac Minis and 50" plasma screens.......LMAO.

Lots of new stuff in iLife... but can you use any of it without a pricey .Mac account? Most people have ISP provided webspace they can upload to now.
  • Reply 9 of 114
    what i don't like are the IR ports in the front of the machine... next to the open-the-lid-button. looks out of place.. oh well.

The ner intel Core logos are pretty cool:

• Reply 10 of 114
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    The top-bezel on that MacBook is hideously tall, the prices should come down $200, and the name takes some adjustment.

But holy speed!
  • Reply 11 of 114
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    One word to describe the keynote: SAFE

I am not impressed. Usually MWSF has the WOW factor. We are missing that today.

Macbook and Imac are nice but predictable.

Why not a 17" Macbook? Why not FW800? That's absurd for video professionals on the field!

Ilife and Iwork are very good. I wonder if I can publish my site with Iweb without a .Mac account?

Well, let's hope more things are to come soon.
  • Reply 12 of 114
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

Aso, I wished Apple introduced some sort of media center. I wonder why is taking so long for that to happen. With so many companies jumping on, I wonder if Apple will lose the lead on that.

But are the consumers?
  • Reply 13 of 114
    So, should we expect to find Rolo hanging from an extension cord?
  • Reply 14 of 114
    I want my 10.4.4 with new widgets!
  • Reply 15 of 114
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Coming from someone who has a 15" PowerBook, the MacBook Pro:
    • faster with Intel processor - yeah!!!

• no FireWire 800 - boooo!!!!

• built-in iSight - yeah!

• new power connector - boooo!!!!; which uses magnets to connect - double boooo!!!! (save that for when we no longer have magnetic media, please!)

• Front Row included - yeah!; how about the rest of us? - no, boo!

• Apple Remote - yeah! (any chance they'll support IrDA again, or is this an Apple Remote consumer IR port only?)

• optical audio out - Oh yeah!!!

All in all, great, but doesn't make me want to rush off and trade my PowerBook for one. Maybe that's why there wasn't too much build-up to this on the Apple side. Just enough to satisfy the folks who were complaining the PowerBooks were too slow, and that's about it.
  • Reply 16 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by b3nj

can't believe they called it the MacBook Pro... sounds kinda strange/lame... i know they had to get rid of the Power stuff... but... i liked that name

oh well... i'll have to get used to it

but... wait a sec... if the powerbook is now the MacBook Pro, what will be the name of the PowerMac?

Uh... the MacMac?
  • Reply 17 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Uh... the MacMac?

LOL.. but you know what... they'll probably will give it an aweful name.

Somthing like: the MacDesktopComputer Pro

*sigh*

hehe... MacMac...
  • Reply 18 of 114
    I'm impressed with the Keynote - and so is Wall Street.

iLife 06 is going to boost .Mac a lot and iWork 06 is slowly moving to where it should be.

It would have been nice to see iBooks & Mac minis, but the speed increases in the iMacs and PB (sorry, MacBook Pros) are impressive and will very shortly have a major backorder.

While there are bits that people can complain about the new Mactels are impressive and ALL Macs will be moved to Intel platforms by the end of the year. Not bad at all.

The only questions I have are:

Where is Front Row for the rest of us"

Is the lack of iBooks and Mac minis an indication that they won't be Duo?
  • Reply 19 of 114
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    I was burgaled in the beginning of December and they stole my 15" PowerBook, I was hoping they would announce the Intel pro laptops and Steve and Apple have given me a late Christmas present. Still I a little wary about getting a first gen Mactel but my linux box wasn't designed for being on my lap while I'm on the couch. YAY!
  • Reply 20 of 114
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Hmmm...

For almost the price of the 1.67 MacBook Pro I can buy a 17" iMac and a 12" iBook. And the iMac has bigger & faster HD, better SuperDrive, and faster processor.

I'm really going to have to evaluate whether I need a fast portable, or if I can get buy with a wimpy portable and a powerful "base station".

- Jasen.